Risk for instrumentation or catherization

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member
Wether any instrumentiton in rectum, vagina or urithra has a risk for vagal

stimulation ?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
??? Is this from personal experiences??????

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
What instrumentation are you planning on putting in those locations?

OP
OP
F

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member
??? Is this from personal experiences??????

R/r 911

I do not had any personal experiences.......

BUT

I was pointing out theoratical risk for these procedures although very very rare

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ok, I've heard of some places having foleys (especially for patients being given diuretics with an extended transport time), but speculums and rectal exam instruments? Where exactly is your service in case I need to change travel plans to avoid BDSM Ambulance Service.

OP
OP
F

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member
Ok, I've heard of some places having foleys (especially for patients being given diuretics with an extended transport time), but speculums and rectal exam instruments? Where exactly is your service in case I need to change travel plans to avoid BDSM Ambulance Service.

these instrument or folleys catheter is usually not available in prehospital

settings but I just want to improve knowledg regarding accociated risks with these proceduroes.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
these instrument or folleys catheter is usually not available in prehospital

Foley catheters are very common prehospital as you will see them in a variety of patients and they can also be placed by Paramedics on ALS, CCT and Specialty trucks.

vagina speculum.....any instrument for rectal examination

I gotta ask...again...is this for personal knowledge as do you have a physical exam due?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member
Foley catheters are very common prehospital as you will see them in a variety of patients and they can also be placed by Paramedics on ALS, CCT and Specialty trucks.

I know many settings have folleys catheters but I want to know the theoritical risks accociated with this procedure.

and BLS settings usually do not have folleys catheter.

similarly vagina speculums and instrument for rectal examination are usually

not present in prehospital settings. BUT being health care providers we

should know any risks accociated with these simple procedures.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
BUT being health care providers we

should know any risks accociated with these simple procedures.

Simple procedures?

Do you know why these procedures are done? Do you know how they are done? Do you know anything about the anatomy or soft tissue involved?
Do you know how many exams a physician or NP must do under supervision before they are allowed to perform solo?

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Why are we avoiding the question? He said he's not going to perform these procedures, he's just trying to expand his knowledge.

OP
OP
F

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member
Why are we avoiding the question? He said he's not going to perform these procedures, he's just trying to expand his knowledge.

thank you for your comments that was the sense for which

I asked that Q.:):):)

Meursault

Organic Mechanic

And add to his
sack of knowledge.

Anecdotally, an ambulance service near me has a legend about one of its employees having her evening interrupted by a vasovagal episode secondary to other kinds of stimulation and ending up a patient.

On the other hand, the vagus nerve doesn't really reach that far down. So vasovagal episodes in these cases are probably the result of things like clenching, straining, or holding your breath (very understandable and hard to avoid) stimulating the vagus nerve and/or more complex autonomic reactions.

OP, I'd be careful with your unusually keen theoretical interest. For instance, a vasovagal episode is the least of the possible problems when inserting things into one's urethra. And make sure your rectal "specula" are wider at the base than at the tip. Just saying.

I've just noticed that this is ALS discussion. /me ducks out of thread before anyone with real training notices

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
How hard is this to figure out guys? Falcon is clearly just interested for the sake of knowing. How that wasn't evident from the first post, let alone the rest, I don't know know. So answer the question.

Why on earth you can't just answer the question without looking for an opportunity to have a go at his education or his system, I don't know.

And no pre-hospital UTC is not common here, maybe they aren't where Falcons from.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The vagus nerve doesn't innervate structures down that far. If the patient bears down or performs a valsalva maneuver, stimulation of the vagus nerve can occur. When that happens, you can get a marked reduction in heart rate... which can drop cardiac output enough that loss of consciousness can occur...

Another possibility is that the patient may simply have a psychological reaction to being instrumented in such a manner... which triggers a vasovagal response from the brain's end of things... and the patient faints for ya right there...