RIP Ford E-Series

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I havnt ignored anything. Ours crews are still limited to 70 and 77 no matter what the sign says.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

Can someone calculate the extra stopping distance for 77 and 80 (and 82) for a 11,000 gwv with full anti-lock safety features?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
No kidding. We have a limit of 77mph running emergent and 70mph non emergent. The RSI system keeps us in line with that.

I'm pretty sure ours went faster than 82mph before the limits were put in the system though.

I just can't see a reason to drive a vehicle like an ambulance that fast and why so many people think its neccesary.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

Total agreement. An ambulance's brakes, suspension, tires, and steering already have been pushed pretty close to the limits of physical controllability at 80ish. I see no reason to risk lives by going a few miles per hour faster. If the call really, really needs that speed, call for help. Eventually the odds will catch up to you if you drive like a maniac.

Speaking of which, shfd, did you get my PM?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I liked the E-series, but I've always preferred the trucks. The vans are just cramped for me. That or station wagons.

Too Old To Work

Forum Lieutenant
Talking to crews who have the Sprinters (none in my area), the only positive thing I have heard from them is that they are taller on the inside so you can stand up straight (not an issue for me since I can already stand straight in the Fords).

Apparently (according to them) they have governs at around 82mph and the sirens are not as loud as the ones on their ford units.

Guess i'll see what management decides to do in the future.

The Sprinter is taller, but is reported to be very stable. The biggest complaint I hear is that they are very tight in the patient compartment compared to Fords.

In addition to the Sprinter, GM still makes a very nice van, as does Nissan. The Sprinter also gets great mileage and has a very durable engine. The Transit is used Europe for ambulances, although the Sprinter seems to be replacing it, even in England.

The sirens being not as loud probably just means that the sound insulation in the Sprinter is better than on the Fords.