Ride along

km02857

Forum Ride Along
I'm seriously considering/planning on beginning my EMT training in the spring, I would do it sooner but that's when the rotation starts, and I was curious if a ride along prior to training would be feasible? I've heard a good deal about ride-alongs as part of clinicals, but didn't know if it's something I would be allowed to do as a prospective? I have a feeling that this is going to vary from place to place, but was wondering if ya'll could give me a general idea/your thoughts or experience! Thanks! :)

Indy

Forum Crew Member
I'm seriously considering/planning on beginning my EMT training in the spring, I would do it sooner but that's when the rotation starts, and I was curious if a ride along prior to training would be feasible? I've heard a good deal about ride-alongs as part of clinicals, but didn't know if it's something I would be allowed to do as a prospective? I have a feeling that this is going to vary from place to place, but was wondering if ya'll could give me a general idea/your thoughts or experience! Thanks! :)

Check with your local agency. If it's a full time ambulance service, requesting a ride along should be easy. A ride along is meant to encourage those interested in a career in EMS, and are also for those that are currently in an EMT-B, EMT-I, or EMT-P program. I suggest you request a ride along, to see what goes on in the field before beginning your Basic training.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Most agencies I know of allow civilian ride alongs, and would typically be happy to accommodate.

However, be ready to carry equipment, and if you have your CPR card you just might do compressions.

Indy

Forum Crew Member
Most agencies I know of allow civilian ride alongs, and would typically be happy to accommodate.

However, be ready to carry equipment, and if you have your CPR card you just might do compressions.

Linuss, question for you. Does Texas consider EMTs/Paramedics sworn personnel? I ask this because of the statement in bold.

OP
OP
K

km02857

Forum Ride Along
I called the local county ems today, and asked about a ride along and was told that it wasn't possibility due to liability issues. I even asked if I could sign a waiver, but that didn't change anything since it would require county approval of the waiver for me to ride along, aka red tape. They did, however, offer that I come by and talk to them and look at the rig.

I'm thinking about asking in some other counties where my grandparents live, hopefully their response will be more positive.

Am I more likely to get a yes from a private ambulance service vs. county service?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
what state are you in?

i know every ems authority around here, volly, paid, ALS, do ride alongs, and they all require CPR cert prior to letting you on the truck.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I called the local county ems today, and asked about a ride along and was told that it wasn't possibility due to liability issues. I even asked if I could sign a waiver, but that didn't change anything since it would require county approval of the waiver for me to ride along, aka red tape. They did, however, offer that I come by and talk to them and look at the rig.

I'm thinking about asking in some other counties where my grandparents live, hopefully their response will be more positive.

Am I more likely to get a yes from a private ambulance service vs. county service?

Make sure you specify that you are looking for a "non-clinical" or "observer" ride along. I know in my county they offer both, but one county over they only have clinical ride alongs in conjunction with the local community colleges, so it can get a little confusing if you aren't clear to the EMS services about what you want to do.

OP
OP
K

km02857

Forum Ride Along
Make sure you specify that you are looking for a "non-clinical" or "observer" ride along. I know in my county they offer both, but one county over they only have clinical ride alongs in conjunction with the local community colleges, so it can get a little confusing if you aren't clear to the EMS services about what you want to do.

I made sure to clarify this since there is a technical college here in town. She even mentioned that they do ride alongs/clinicals for the students there but since i wasn't involved in the program yet that I would not be allowed.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I know the private service here offers ride alongs to anyone over the age of 18 as long as you sign a waiver, but you are also last on the priority list since there is a constant flow of EMT B, I and P students doing our internships. So it's definitely not unheard of for agencies to offer rides to the general public.

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
KM02857,

Here in NYC ( and I write NYC, not NYS as I'm sure it might be different outside of the city limits ) when I did my ride-a-long for the Fire Department, they requested on the application form my reason for doing so. I had to write because I was an EMT-B student at a local university. I am not sure they would've granted the ride-a-long had I stated just because I'm curious or because I'm a civilian and wanted the experience although I might be wrong. As some of the other people in this forum have written, I guess it's really up to the agency to accept your reasoning or not.

In addition, I'm sure when you sign your request form, there will be an additional form stating simple No's, IE: No photos, no video recording, and if you have to wear your EMT Gear they might request no other agency be represented on your clothing.

Good luck, and learn tons!

~ Lucy