RFI: Texas EMS

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
To start it off, I'm 20 and in San Diego right now. I'm planning on leaving California after I finish medic school (a ways away from now, I don't start until January).

Anywho, I'm looking at moving to Texas (not dead set on it, maybe somewhere else in the south). Problem is, Texas is a big place, and I'm not sure where to start my search. I'm basically looking for a place where Fire doesn't dominate the EMS scene and I'm able to live modestly as a single-role Paramedic. I'd like to be somewhere near a metro area (an hour or so one way) if not in said metro area.

The reason Texas is at the top of my list is because the cost of living seems pretty low (what doesn't compared to San Diego?), they accept the NREMT for reciprocity (from what I've read?), and it seems like there are a few people on here who are pretty pleased with their EMS systems in the area. An added bonus is it isn't unrealistic to drive and visit family back here from there.

So... have at it, any and all information helps - including links that will help me obtain information on my own.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Actually, I'd be pretty interested in hearing what people have to say as well. I'll be finishing up my internship here soon, and I've been contemplating a move to Texas too.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
The third Service in Austin-Travis County is legit. 2 students from the last class at my school just got hired on. they say it is awesome. There is a recruitment video on youtube. search Austin-Travis County EMS.

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Anyone else?

SincereGnome

Forum Ride Along
I was trained as a Basic in San Diego, I tried to find a job there with no luck at all. I decided to move to San Antonio and I think it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. There are many places here that hire single-role paramedics, mainly private companies, but quite a few fire services have single role paramedics. I believe that Texas in general is a aggressive state when it comes to protocols, and many of the schools here are attempting to lead the way in making changes. I am still fairly new to the state but like Imacho said I have heard great things about Austin, many of the medics here are trying to get jobs up there as well. If you have any questions I will do my best to help!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Lots of IFT outfits in houston. Decent cost of living, not a bad town overall. Austin would be my second choice, unless your're under 25 then I'd go straght to Austin,

Missed the 20 year ok'd part. Try for austin you'll have a blast.

Last edited by a moderator: