Response Time Requirements

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
As stolen from R/R in that other thread.....
Not to hijack a thread, but I find it ironic that almost all EMS uses those standards. When one researches upon where and how they came up with magical number, there is no factor except the American Ambulance Association had cited from AHA many years ago, that BLS should be started within 4 minutes and ALS within 8. Again, without any real merit.. thus a tradition is started - R/R

This is pretty intresting to me. For the service I work for (I now only have 1 job d/t a series of unfortunant events and probable suit to be filed against the county service) it is part of our contract to provide service for the county to make it to Urban Calls within 10 minutes and Rural Calls within 18 minutes of the time of dispatch.....90% of the time.

This 10/18 minutes starts as soon as they call us to be inservice, whether we are sitting in our truck or its 1 am and we are laying in our beds drooling on our pillows (yep, that happens on my truck....the second slowest in the county!) This can actually cut our "responding" time down to 8-9 min, by the time we get up, let my tourettes flow, go potty (in my partners case) and get to driving.

How does the rest of yours compare?

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
As stolen from R/R in that other thread.....

This is pretty intresting to me. For the service I work for (I now only have 1 job d/t a series of unfortunant events and probable suit to be filed against the county service) it is part of our contract to provide service for the county to make it to Urban Calls within 10 minutes and Rural Calls within 18 minutes of the time of dispatch.....90% of the time.

This 10/18 minutes starts as soon as they call us to be inservice, whether we are sitting in our truck or its 1 am and we are laying in our beds drooling on our pillows (yep, that happens on my truck....the second slowest in the county!) This can actually cut our "responding" time down to 8-9 min, by the time we get up, let my tourettes flow, go potty (in my partners case) and get to driving.

How does the rest of yours compare?

I work in a post sytem, where we are in the ambulance all shift, mostly just 12 hour shifts, and we move around the county to strategic posting places. The county says we have 10 minutes from initial call (the clock starts when dispatch gets notified) to be on-scene inside the city limits, then outside the city we have 15 minutes provided an ALS fire engine is on scene within ten minutes. That has to happen 90% of the time or we get fined by the county.