Response Idea - Feedback appreciated

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'll provide more feedback in a bit after my workout. I must say, though, that is a bloody brilliant idea!

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm not sure how first responders feel about this but I would want it to annoy neighbors, especially if it's an emergency.

Most calls we go on aren't really emergencies, and many people call quite frequently. Neighbors would get tired of that very quickly. For the few cases of actual time sensitive calls, I wouldn't want additional neighbor lookie loos on scene before I was anyway unless they were providing CPR or something.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
That technology is land line based.

This concept is smart phone and ap based.

Same desired effects, how you get there entirely different.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I really don't think a flashing light is going to annoy the neighbors that bad. If it did, a lot more vandalism would happen during Christmas time.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I really don't think a flashing light is going to annoy the neighbors that bad. If it did, a lot more vandalism would happen during Christmas time.

I agree. My comment was referencing the use of audible alarms. I do think this flashing light app integration has potential merit.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If it is anything that is outside the residence, you're going to have to come up with a way to prevent/deal with vandalism and theft...and in apartment complexes, the maintenance man changing out the bulb.

A better idea might be some type of lamp or light that can be mounted inside of the front window.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
How often to people vandalize or steal the front porch light fixture?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
How often to people vandalize or steal the front porch light fixture?

Happens a fair bit around here...teenage hooligans with nothing else to do.

OP
OP
B

Beacon

Forum Probie
There is a company in Delaware that has this technology. You may want to research their product.

http://www.2help911.com/

Thanks for posting that link.
Similar in overall concept but some key differences. The Responder Beacon would install in an existing socket (lamp post, porch light, etc.), work with smart phones, wouldn't require an electrician, and you can take it with you if you move. I would hope the price point would be way less too, some of their products are $200+ which is way too high.

OP
OP
B

Beacon

Forum Probie
One of my local fire departments sells a light bulb that flashes when you turn the light off and on quickly twice.

http://summitfiredepartment.org/SmokeDetectorsBeaconlights.html

Thanks for the link. I had come across some of these products in my initial research and thought they were too limiting. Requires someone to call 911, get to the light switch and flick it on/off 3 times. If someone has been injured, they probably have a better chance of simply reaching their phone and just dialing 911 instead of jumping through all those hoops.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
When I worked Electronics Retail we sold home alarms; I used to sell a yellow flashing light for people to mount on their roof: If the alarm would go off the light would flash, attract attention and the police can find your house easier.

Then we started selling it (as a stand alone device) to people that had health problems; and if you call 911 flip the switch and the light flashes.. It was great for EMS crews

OP
OP
B

Beacon

Forum Probie
When I worked Electronics Retail we sold home alarms; I used to sell a yellow flashing light for people to mount on their roof: If the alarm would go off the light would flash, attract attention and the police can find your house easier.

Then we started selling it (as a stand alone device) to people that had health problems; and if you call 911 flip the switch and the light flashes.. It was great for EMS crews

Thanks John, do you by chance have a link to the product? Was it something that needed to be wired by an electrician or installed by a roofer?

ticktoc

Forum Ride Along
Great idea. I agree with the other commenters about getting rid of the alarm it may be difficult to hear from inside the rig and you may have more difficulty selling it to complexes. Have you figured out how the device will be powered?

OP
OP
B

Beacon

Forum Probie
Great idea. I agree with the other commenters about getting rid of the alarm it may be difficult to hear from inside the rig and you may have more difficulty selling it to complexes. Have you figured out how the device will be powered?

Thanks for the feedback. Take a look at the images here: http://www.quirky.com/ideations/455393

Power would come from the lamp socket itself if it was switched on. If power was switched off or out all together, there is a small battery in it that would power it.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Two words:
Willy Peter (e.g., white smoke and intense white light)
How to tame white phosphorous....another whole type of problem.