Requesting Creative Ideas to Break-in/Wear out Horrilble New Sandpaperish Pants

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Hi All,

Was recently issued new pants, and they are extremely THICK and uncomfortable. They're 2x layers in spots, super hot and non-breathable. My entire legs sweat when I wear them and they also scratch and chafe off all the skin. They are "crunchy" and starched so well that they hold form even after multiple washings.

They feel like they're made of some cross between cardboard and sandpaper. I'm sure they're wonderful and repel MRSA and HIV and blood and guts, and specifically designed to never wear out so we always look sharp and clean cut, but they're also extremely annoying to wear, uncomfortable and even hard to walk and move around in because they are so thick and stiff.

Any creative or technical ideas of how to expedite the break in process? I want them to feel about 3 years old and thin and breathable.

Ideas I'm ruminating on:
- wash them 3000x (this is hard because I don't have a washer in my apartment and use a laundrymat down the street)
- wear them swimming in the ocean. lay them out to dry in the sun afterwards. then wash them
- roll them up into a ball, put them in a plastic bag, then run them over repeatedly with my car

Things to consider:
- they must maintain original black color, can't get too faded

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas/suggestions....

Cheers,
Bean

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
I've seen a couple of methods that work. One is to put the pants into the bathtub with water and a detergent, like laundry soap or dishwashing soap, then schlurp the heck out of them with a plunger. This works best if the plunger is one of the old fashioned ones that is bowl-shaped, not one of the newer fancy ones with the extra cone at the end. The other method is to put the pants (wet) into a dryer on low heat with a pair of sneakers. That generally beats them into shape. I recommend against any method that requires significant heat, as I think that will just make the fabric more harsh.

Oh, and do you happen to know the fabric content? I might have other ideas depending on what the pants are made out of.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
OK, let me ask the obvious question: Is replacing them with pants of your choosing (within guidelines or parameters) not an option?

OP
OP
beandip4all

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
OK, let me ask the obvious question: Is replacing them with pants of your choosing (within guidelines or parameters) not an option?

Negative... have to wear the exact same brand/type of issued pants. Pretty strict on that around here. :excl: