Removing seated victim from MVA

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We carry 2 LSB's, 2 KED's, 1 Scoop, 1 stair chair, 1 pediatric stretcher/car sea, per unit. Unless the patient is severely critical (in which most case they are flown out), we will transport 2 patients. One on LSB on the squad bench the other the stretcher.. No need tying up two units for simple MVC.

R/r 911

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
We have KODE2's now.. Our KED's were shot to hell, so they replaced them, and gave us Kendrick Pediatric Spider Straps. Woo Hoo

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TTLWHKR said:
We have KODE2's now.. Our KED's were shot to hell, so they replaced them, and gave us Kendrick Pediatric Spider Straps. Woo Hoo
The KODE 2 looks cool... what do you think?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
KODE - is Kendrick's Other Device for Extircation... he sold the patent to the KED and then made some small modifications, allowing him to make more money.

KODE II - New, Improved KODE.

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
never seen one...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

divinewind_007

Forum Lieutenant
we are required to have 2 LSB on all our units in tennesse. Starting this year we also are suppose to have 2 KED's on board and 2 tractions splints in stead of one.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
That seems silly... duplication of seldom-used equipment.

I DID like having a short board AND a K.E.D. - a short board is so much more than an extication device... CPR board, etc.

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
Sorry to bring back a dead thread. I just have one question though.

The majority of you say that if you are not rushed, to use a KED... My question is, if you are not rushed, then is the car accident bad enought here is a possiblity of head or neck injury?

emtbuff

Forum Captain
brentoli said:
Sorry to bring back a dead thread. I just have one question though.

The majority of you say that if you are not rushed, to use a KED... My question is, if you are not rushed, then is the car accident bad enought here is a possiblity of head or neck injury?

Yes there is always the possibility for a head/neck injury with any type of a car accident. When I'm think of not being rushed is that there is a long extrication time, the patient has a patent Airway and has good circulation and so forth. I know those would be factors for putting it on. And if the car isn't in bad shape but the patient is complaining of neck/head pain I would take the time to KED them also.