Remote Paramedic Programs?

Nick 474

Forum Ride Along
I am trying to start the process of getting into the paramedic field but in a different way. Instead of the typical urban setting I am looking into becoming a member of a medical support staff for expeditions. I am asking to see if anyone has any paramedic programs that they may suggest that might specialize in this sort of thing. There are a couple out there that I heard of, but I want to try and do my do diligence and a through search and comparison of programs. Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
There are wilderness EMS classes, but you typically already need to be an EMT/Paramedic. I've never heard of a specially paramedic program.

Also, a lot of remote paramedic gigs want you to have a few years experience working in the field first, as being completely solo and managing patients for extended periods of time can be a difficult task.

Summit

Critical Crazy
You might want to clarify what you mean by "expeditions."

Take your WEMT and paramedic prereqs, take your medic class and get a job with a service that is not a "busy urban service." Instead find a busier suburban/semi-rural service that has longer transport times. Then work on some other merit badge courses and make connections while you get experience, volunteer with SAR, or even look an nursing because depending on what kind of expedition work you are thinking, long extrication/expedition care in the can look more like austere nursing than urban EMS.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Agree with these two posts. You need experience before going remote. No shortcuts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I would like to know about "the couple you have heard of.."

BoonDoc

Forum Crew Member
If you are not interested in getting the NREMT registration there is an Industry Paramedic course and EU registry that is designed for the Remote Paramedic. This qualification is used for expeditions, disaster relief and for work in the Middle East and Africa.
It is online training with one month in the EU and seven weeks of clinical experience in Johannesburg. There you will get to suture, intubate, do chest drains and be treated like a junior doctor.

It includes the Diploma of Paramedic Science from Australia which is equal to the AAS degree in the US.

Summit

Critical Crazy
If you are not interested in getting the NREMT registration there is an Industry Paramedic course and EU registry that is designed for the Remote Paramedic. This qualification is used for expeditions, disaster relief and for work in the Middle East and Africa.
It is online training with one month in the EU and seven weeks of clinical experience in Johannesburg. There you will get to suture, intubate, do chest drains and be treated like a junior doctor.

It includes the Diploma of Paramedic Science from Australia which is equal to the AAS degree in the US.
Now that is a cool program! Bit pricey at 7500$ plus food and international travel x2...

OP that program plus good experience...

All interested in what kind of expedition you are looking for

BoonDoc

Forum Crew Member
Good point. But looking as US accelerated paramedic programs there are some that are $9k that don't include accommodation. And they don't include the AAS degree.

The Wilderness Medicine specialties do have a lot to offer the paramedic in regards to training for the remote setting. The Fellowship of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine is open to paramedics. Few fellowships are.
I would suggest looking at getting the FAWM.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Whoa whoa whoa...this program does NOT include the AAS degree. Do your homework. It says you get a Diploma of Science which is EQUAL to an AAS....that is their claim. AT no time will you have a degree to list on your resume which is valid in the US. If that does not bother you, fine...however do not think you are walking away with a college degree from this.

MackTheKnife

Whoa whoa whoa...this program does NOT include the AAS degree. Do your homework. It says you get a Diploma of Science which is EQUAL to an AAS....that is their claim. AT no time will you have a degree to list on your resume which is valid in the US. If that does not bother you, fine...however do not think you are walking away with a college degree from this.
Great point AK!- Read the fine print! And for what it's worth to the OP, getting a non-US certification might not be worth the cost. In the tactical community, jobs that are posted invariably require NREMT-P (now NRP?) and a valid state PM license, ACLS, BLS. Some posted jobs will ask for an EMT-I. There are a few guys here who contract out overseas that are much more knowledgeable on this than me.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
After having spoken with many of my Aussie friends I learned that the Diploma of Paramedical Science USED to be widely accepted as the entry level paramedic certificate. This is NO longer the trend. Most jobs in AUS and at the remote mine sites and rigs, etc require the Bachelors.

Can you get jobs with the Diploma...possibly. Will they be the top ones with best pay, best resources, best support? Probably not because any employer who strives for the minimum requirement will give you exactly that in return. In Australia, the trend is towards higher educated clinicians and they are getting farther and farther away from only the Diploma. As a side note, the diploma is what most of the military medics qualified for from their time in service.

I am only providing the info as my prior military/current working paramedic Australian buddies told me. I have no first hand experience with this and no reason to doubt the veracity of their claim in their home country.

So if you pursue this option, you need to ask yourself...am I employable? If so, where and with who?

There is no shortcut as many of us have stated repeatedly.....

MackTheKnife

Good Intel, AK.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I am surprised the BCCTPC has not cashed in on this yet

BoonDoc

Forum Crew Member
AK, you are correct that the Australians have moved to the Bachelors degree paramedic. The Diploma is still getting jobs in the mines, Middle East and Africa. But for the 999 service in first world countries the international standard is for a degree paramedic.

Except in the US of course. For some reason the states refuse to look at academic backed paramedics.

In the UK, Australia, South Africa and Ireland the paramedic is considered superior to the nursing staff since we can cannulate, intubate and give drugs independently. This is due to the fact that both the paramedic and the nurse have bachelors degrees. There is not a hierarchy problem like in the US where a two year degree nurse will refuse to listen to a paramedic and consider us lower than dirt.

We have all experienced that.

The Diploma Paramedic is a two year academically backed paramedic. Most paramedics will get their diploma and start working in the industry whilst they do online courses to upgrade to the bachelors.

BoonDoc

Forum Crew Member
I am surprised the BCCTPC has not cashed in on this yet

BCCTPC (or IBSC) does not offer basic paramedic qualifications. They only do advanced paramedic board certifications. That is probably why they have not "cashed in on this yet".

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Regarding BCCTPC / IBSC: Actually, anyone can take any of their test the same day they graduate paramedic school. One could also argue that remote medic training or work experience is just as much a "specialty" or "advanced" as flight, critical care, tactical, community paramedic, whatever else they are selling these days. However, this is depending on the work environment of course. I have found that 99% of the job is fighting off boredom from my own experiences.
Regarding OP: I do not endorse this program in anyway or know anything about it other than what I read, but perhaps you maybe interested in looking into something like this http://www.extrememedicineexpo.com/msc-emewm/ I can not comment on its quality or job placement/return of investment, but it sure looks fun! Other than the extremely corny name

Here is some of that programs content:
Modules are under development for the PgDip and MSc Extreme Medicine and will include:

• Pre Hospital Trauma Care (15 Credits)
  • Maternal and Children’s Health (15 Credits)
  • Mountain Medicine (15 Credits)
  • Polar Medicine (15 Credits)
  • Jungle Medicine (15 Credits)
  • Applied Research methods (15 Credits)
  • Disaster and Humanitarian Medicine Theory and Practical Pre hospital emergency care (15 Credits)
  • Obstetrics and Gynaecology and maternal and child health, in remote areas (15 Credits)
  • Research/Dissertation (30/60 Credits)

Read more at http://www.exeter.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/medicine/extrememedicinemsc/#DZF6FbIohAerKuZs.99

There are also courses like this https://www.remotemedical.com/training/remote-medicine-for-the-advanced-provider-rmap/
and WEMT, but I have never seen a contract require one and there is no official nationally or internationally recognized one that I am aware of (excluding HSE, offshore stuff, ect)

Last edited:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Boondoc...I am in a crux as I give respect to your BTDT status (18E right) however I also give respect to my Aussie friends of nearly 10 years who all have lived and breathed EMS their Army and now civilian careers (including several of them on mines, rigs and ships aside from EMS on street). I also have the perspective of a business owner trying to sell its wares when needed.

The job market abroad is saturated with over qualified workers right now, even with the higher standards. And the mines are wanting the higher standards as other employers do to. This part I know due to my first hand knowledge. Then you have employers who will hire anyone. The bulk of these jobs are filled with your "TCN's" (American perspective). S. Africans have always been and are readily available for employment due to their western standards, English and white faces, yet are very cost effective. (If any one who reads this thinks this is racist then you have never been in the contracting world).

I seriously think you are selling a dying product that has very limited advantages in today's world. Trying to flood the market before the market dries up. If it were pure snake oil I would insinuate it, however I think there is still need for some but how it is being packaged and sold is not entirely right based on what I know and what I am told from very trusted sources.

BoonDoc

Forum Crew Member
Hey AK. Excellent information, mate. I respect your input and agree that the industry is changing. There are a lot of paramedics out of work. In Oz there are degree paramedics looking for jobs that a diploma paramedic could do.

Here in Malta there is a company hiring paramedics for €140 per day. It is almost criminal to offer that. They are getting TCNs to take those jobs who are doctors and nurses. Even the SA medics are finding jobs hard to come by even in Qatar and Saudi. That is one reason there are so many upskilling to the FP-C and CCP-C.

The unfortunate side effect of running a company built on passion is that we do what we do because we love it. Not because it can make money or be sensible from a business standpoint. We designed this 'mini 18D' because we enjoy teaching it. We enjoy the quality of the delegates coming through. Not sure where the tides will go in the future but there is a niche for this kind of paramedic.

There are more jobs than paramedics in the UK. They are 1200 short in just London alone. We have a pathway for our EU graduates to get work on civi ambulances and upgrade to the degree. The problem is that most of our graduates don't want to be a taxi driver for OAPs and drunks. That is what the ambulance system has come to in Ireland and the UK.

The answer is in academia. Getting a masters degree is a good option. There are jobs in the UK for paramedics with a masters degree that are similar to the PAs and NPs in the US. They get to be treated similar to junior doctors and work in the A&E and prehospital. The US is trying to do that with the new Community Paramedic programme but they continue to feck it up by not having it academically backed.

Academica is also the way for experienced paramedics to teach.