Forum Ride Along
I would like to talk to the Texans
I am moving to Texas from ca
I am a emt basic I grossed 60k last year working 2-3 24s and a 12 every week
I would like to know what are the best companies in that area
Pay scale
Normal shift schedule
Ot

and what are good options for paramedic programs preferably with a associate in paramedicine option
Thank you to anyone that takes the time to answer

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
What are you looking to do?
Youre not going to make anything like 60k as an EMT in DFW.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I am a emt basic I grossed 60k last year working 2-3 24s and a 12 every week
so you were working between 60 hours and 84 hours a week, every week, and you only grossed 60k? I'm guessing that included a ton of OT; what was your hourly salary? That way you can compare apples to apples, and not oranges to pineapples.

When I was working pretty much 60 hour weeks as an EMT, I made about 55k due to OT. and that got old after a while.

If you want to see rough salaries and available jobs, I would check out Google. I even did the search for you, and the results can be found here. Just a heads up: the salary is between 25k and 35k, without OT. you can even check out zip recruiter for the average salary here.

As for your other questions, I will differ to a texas local for that.

OP
OP
E

Edvincent

Forum Ride Along
so you were working between 60 hours and 84 hours a week, every week, and you only grossed 60k? I'm guessing that included a ton of OT; what was your hourly salary? That way you can compare apples to apples, and not oranges to pineapples.

When I was working pretty much 60 hour weeks as an EMT, I made about 55k due to OT. and that got old after a while.

If you want to see rough salaries and available jobs, I would check out Google. I even did the search for you, and the results can be found here. Just a heads up: the salary is between 25k and 35k, without OT. you can even check out zip recruiter for the average salary here.

As for your other questions, I will differ to a texas local for that.
I checked google but that info is not always accurate so I was trying to get to the scouce
I make 13.67 a hour right now and work a lot of ot to make a decent living

RocketMedic

In the DFW area as an EMT, you’re limited in 911 opportunities without going Fire. MedStar, AMR or maybe a county service.

RocketMedic

I dunno. Probably pretty average.

CanadianBagel

Forum Crew Member
How is medstar
I’ve done a lot of research on Texas EMS, and here’s what I know:
AMR has the 911 contract for the city of Arlington. As far as AMR goes, this seems pretty solid for a private service. They are based out of the local firehouses with the pumper/engine crews. Not sure the pay, but Texas is not expensive to live; so you would probably be fine.

Medstar runs 911 for the city of Fort Worth. They have emt/medic trucks as well, and are pretty much your standard private service. Trucks and equipment seem decent. Has good and bad reviews on sites like Indeed.

I’d highly recommend you become a medic. EMT-B is really just a stepping stone. There are some really sick jobs out there if you have EMT-P/LP. North Texas Regional EMS hires medics at $63k and puts them through critical care. Once they have that, you get bumped up to $70k. It’s an IFT job, but they are all emergency transfers and you have icu capabilities like starting arterial lines, giving blood, and they even have IV ultrasound.

TexasFireSource.com has a full list of every operating Fire and EMS agency in every county, so I would check that out and look around.

OP
OP
E

Edvincent

Forum Ride Along
I’ve done a lot of research on Texas EMS, and here’s what I know:
AMR has the 911 contract for the city of Arlington. As far as AMR goes, this seems pretty solid for a private service. They are based out of the local firehouses with the pumper/engine crews. Not sure the pay, but Texas is not expensive to live; so you would probably be fine.

Medstar runs 911 for the city of Fort Worth. They have emt/medic trucks as well, and are pretty much your standard private service. Trucks and equipment seem decent. Has good and bad reviews on sites like Indeed.

I’d highly recommend you become a medic. EMT-B is really just a stepping stone. There are some really sick jobs out there if you have EMT-P/LP. North Texas Regional EMS hires medics at $63k and puts them through critical care. Once they have that, you get bumped up to $70k. It’s an IFT job, but they are all emergency transfers and you have icu capabilities like starting arterial lines, giving blood, and they even have IV ultrasound.

TexasFireSource.com has a full list of every operating Fire and EMS agency in every county, so I would check that out and look around.
Thank you so much

RocketMedic

North Texas EMS is, I think, defunct. Something about noncompliance with DSHS.