relearning the basics?

griffithsgriffin

Forum Crew Member
Hey all, took my EMT training about 2 years ago, feel like I am gradually losing knowledge, as the ambulance company I work for mostly has their Basics doing wheelchair transfers (no complaining, I am grateful, just explaining myself), thus I find I haven't been able to apply my skills as much as I would like. I try studying through my EMT textbook, but that can be a little daunting as I can't locate my old notes. I study through my study/quiz books as well, but often this will give me solutions without the "why." Anyone else found any solution to this problem? In need of structure for the information/text I do have. Thanks!

Mariemt

Forum Captain
If you want the why, instead of just the solution, I would highly suggest A&P 1 and 2
Or maybe even becoming a nurse or medic.

ffd306

Forum Ride Along
Get involved

It sounds like you'd be a good person to get involved with a local EMS training facility. Find one and tell them you'd like to help out with labs, skills, etc. This will help you gain access to information, help ensure you know it since you're teaching/helping others learn it.

Once you learn and have the knowledge... share it!!

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
All of the suggestions already listed are great. Have you considered a Basic Refresher? Also, I believe JB learning' phone quiz gives the reason for the answers.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Crack your book and do the exercises.
Get hired on or volunteer at an agency where they do emergency work.

OP
OP
G

griffithsgriffin

Forum Crew Member
great answers from all! I am hoping to start Percom's medic program sometime in 2014, but would like to be prepared as possible! I checked my local training center, and they have some upcoming refresher courses which I will be doing post holidays. Until then, it'll be book reading and online quizzes as suggested!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
great answers from all! I am hoping to start Percom's medic program sometime in 2014, but would like to be prepared as possible! I checked my local training center, and they have some upcoming refresher courses which I will be doing post holidays. Until then, it'll be book reading and online quizzes as suggested!

Then by al means take an accredited anatomy course and a physiology course as well.

Agencies have lodged many training videos on YOUTUBE as well, just be picky and don't waste time watching Homer and Jethro goof around for an hour…or accidentally learn to build an IED from ALQUADEA.COM;)

Jawdavis

Forum Probie
There are a lot of practice tests and quizzes out there even on your phone if you have a smart phone. Refresher courses are amazing as long as you don't mind paying for them but another good idea would be doing volunteer ride time with a fire department, you might not get to practice skills but you can still see what is going on and learn from those with experience.