Refresher Question

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys. Been EMT-B certified for a little less then a year. At my high school we have an EMT-B class available. The instructor teaching the class asked me to help out with the students and that I could use this class as my refresher as well. Is this true? If so. How does the whole re-cert and refreshers work? My expiration date is 01/01/10.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Depends upon your state and local requirements. If you are a NREMT, you can attend required courses and hours in a EMT course to use as a refresher. This however; may need to be pre-approved prior to the course .. again local requirements.

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well i dont have the first clue about connecticut. connecticut's oems would be the place to go for direct from the horses mouth information. but i'll give you what i can in terms of general info.

each state sets the amount of recert credits needed each recert. in ma, you need 28hrs of continuing ed and a 24hr refresher(for which you dont receive credit hours for, just completion credit). all of this must be submitted by 12/31 of the year prior to your expiration. in ma, all emt tickets expire 4/1, so if you expire 4/1/2009, your hours have to be completed by 12/31/2008. here you can use up to 20 hours of teaching credit(at 2:1) as con ed. meaning that if you teach 40hrs worth of cpr/first aid/emt class etc you can claim 20hrs of teaching credit with documentation.

your refresher is a separate class. it, well, refreshes everything you learned in school. expect to be tested in all your practical skills, receive any update as far as new protocols, be mind numbingly bored while the parts of the emt course that you actually use every day are reviewed(remember kids, lift with your legs and dont twist!) and then take a final exam much like your emt-b final. in some places, you can do 2/3 of the refresher online with just one 8 hour practical lab.

its preferable to start on your hours very early in your license period and space them out along the road. that way, you are actualling being continuously educated, and your not going to be up against the wall looking for hours a month before they are due. the school i used to teach at used to make a fortune of of last minute con ed. the last week in december, we ran a marathon con ed and refresher session that lasted all week, all day every day. it was well over $600, where the same number of credits throughout the year would have totaled about $225.

oh, and you can do most of your hours on line with sites like mediced.com. just make sure your state recognizes online ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Topher38

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the information. Sorry to say. I really have no clue where to find this type of information on CT EMT licensing laws. Could you point me in the right direction? Website?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the information. Sorry to say. I really have no clue where to find this type of information on CT EMT licensing laws. Could you point me in the right direction? Website?

alright, i'll do some research for you. IIRC, i cam down a little harsh on you some time back and im feeling generous.

give me a minute.

OP
OP
Topher38

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks very much.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
water over the bridge and up the ducks.....