Recommendations for gear bags whilst on shift

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
If you try to carry everything in one bag, it's going to weigh a ton.

If you try and break everything down into separate bags and pouches and so on, you'll spend most of your time searching for things and rebuilding the system after you tear it apart searching for something.

There is one surefire solution though. A) Stop buying useless crap whose only purpose is separating you from your money. B) Leave the pile of crap you've already bought home.

Try that out for a stretch and see how it goes. If I don't use it daily or damn close too it, I don't need it to be immediately accessible. You can lug around a sea bag full of "well, I might need that someday" if you want to. I'd love to be able to walk in to work empty handed.
That's great for people doing that. Not my case, and not what I asked about. Did you read my post? Most of my stuff is required work equipment. In addition to that I'd like to be able to carry my laptop, a phone charger, my personal OTC meds, and maybe some snacks.

Thanks for playing.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Simmer down, Sally. You aren't the OP and I neither replied to nor quoted your post. I was replying to the topic at large.

Thanks for playing.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Play nice or I will start to play.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Resurrecting this thread in hopes of getting recommendations. I am looking at 5.11 stuff, but want to see if anyone had anything else they may suggest. I have some family needy requirements and just want a bag that ticks as many of them as possible.

- I prefer a backpack or sling/shoulder bag over a duffle bag.
- The bag needs to be large enough to store a folded vehicle extrication jacket, extrication gloves, and extrication helmet. (The helmet can be carried externally).
- If you can figure out a way to secure a ballistic vest to the bag, that's a plus. I was thinking if someone out there made a flap between the back surface and the interior bag, I could secure it in there. This is a long shot, but would be nice.
- Plenty of zipper pouches for my personal stuff.
- I don't require a lot of molle, but I'm guessing with a bag like this, it's going to be hard to avoid.

I'm considering the 5.11 AMP 12 with the helmet Gear Set attachment. Does anyone have anything better to suggest? Those of you with the Rush bags, do you think the Helmet Gear Set would work as is or with an extension on the buckles?

Thanks

I have a 5.11 Rush 72 that I got years ago when I worked in HEMS to carry all my normal daily stuff (laptop, chargers, small lunch cooler, books) as well as the overnight stuff I needed with me for when I occasionally got kicked out on long FW flights (passport, change of socks, underwear, and t-shirt; ziplock bag with deodorant, travel toothbrush & toothpaste, etc.). It worked great for that, and now I use it for long weekend trips to the beach and stuff like that.

The Rush 72 is quite a bit bigger (55L) than the AMP 12 (25L) that you mentioned, but there's also a Rush 24 (37L) and a smaller Rush 12. These bags do have a "flap" that is easy to stuff a jacket into. The molle would make it easy to attach a helmet, and probably a vest.

I'm not generally that into tacticool style, but 5.11's gear is really well designed and built.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Anyone have experience with Pelican backpacks? I know they make great hard cases but was surprised to see they made backpacks. I'm looking to try something new other than 5.11 for an EDC bag on an ambulance shift

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I’ve been carrying this bag for a while now.
50AD79AC-AA93-4C07-AD7F-1F7525C9EF7C.jpeg

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Bag models have changed since this thread was started. I'm replacing my 5.11 bag. Need a personal bag for 12 hour shift on an ambulance shift in a busy urban system. Gotta carry my lunch, a stethoscope, tablet / kindle, rain jacket, sunglasses, 18oz water bottle, 20oz coffee tumbler. You know the usual. I could buy a 20 dollar bag from Walmart but I want to be cool. I have narrowed down these suggestions for feedback but welcome alternatives to consider also.

1. Pelican Mobile Protect 25 https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/travel/backpack/mobile-protect/mpb25?sku=SL-MPB25-BLK
2. Mystry Ranch Urban Assault 24 https://www.mysteryranch.com/urban-assault-24-pack

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Bag models have changed since this thread was started. I'm replacing my 5.11 bag. Need a personal bag for 12 hour shift on an ambulance shift in a busy urban system. Gotta carry my lunch, a stethoscope, tablet / kindle, rain jacket, sunglasses, 18oz water bottle, 20oz coffee tumbler. You know the usual. I could buy a 20 dollar bag from Walmart but I want to be cool. I have narrowed down these suggestions for feedback but welcome alternatives to consider also.

1. Pelican Mobile Protect 25 https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/travel/backpack/mobile-protect/mpb25?sku=SL-MPB25-BLK
2. Mystry Ranch Urban Assault 24 https://www.mysteryranch.com/urban-assault-24-pack
And yet, even with all those changes, a good ole fashioned saddle bag still works wonders. Plus being made of leather they dont wear out.

EDIT: I've had a rough side out saddlebag for my primary 72 hour emergency kit for over 19 years now. I keep trying newer purpose built bags but keep coming back to the saddlebag set up. I keep 4 days of coast guard rations and water in it, survival shelter and poncho, fire starting supplies, cordage and hand tools in it. I find that for its size I can carry heavier weights more comfortably than a similar sized pack because there is weight on the front and back of the torso. Added bonus is that you don't look like a tacticfool.

Last edited:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Pulled the trigger on a 15L. Neither of the ones I had mentioned above. Trying to save space upfront since I'm on system status. I'll update my feedback on the bag once I have worked with it for a month or two. Its going to be a tight fit for my stuff, but I welcome the downsize and challenge (and the extra leg room)

Decided on the Mystery Ranch Rip Ruck 15 in Cherry. https://www.mysteryranch.com/rip-ruck-15-pack?quantity=1&color=Cherry

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show