Recommendations for a book on aviation?

blindsideflank

Forum Lieutenant
Hi,
I will be entering the critical care field soon (well I have 2 years of training to worry about getting through first).

When I do fly with the CCPs, I always find their knowledge of aviation really interesting. I know that they have gathered this through 30 years of flying and chatting with pilots but I would like to have a bit of knowledge regarding the subject.
An recommendations for easy, (hopefully interesting) reading that would help me with some more familiarity with simple aviation?
I'm not really sure what I want to know so it makes it hard for me to search.
Maybe something with a little on helicopters too?...

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
Iafccp critical care exam review was the best study material for the fpc and a great e book in general. Sorry I don't know a specific e book for aviation.

OP
OP
B

blindsideflank

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the reply. I'm not worried about the medicine (there is definitely lots of that ahead). I just get curious when I hear people talking about the ceiling/clouds, V1, and all those types of things.

FltMedicRob

Forum Crew Member
When you say aviation are you speaking about the particular aircraft you will be in or general aviation as far as airports. Flight restrictions in certain radius to the airports etc?

When I was a flight medic in the army, we were expected to know the general manual for the Blackhawk and we had copies of the procedures manual. Especially important were the emergency procedures. As to radio freques and stuff most of that was left to the pilots. We were expected to know the emergency channels and what radio frequencies were on which channel (to call what was the equiviliant to civilian dispatch / hospitals).

Airlinepilotmedic

Forum Probie
Jeppson private pilot manual is the go-to introduction to aviation textbook. It teaches you about simple aerodynamics, weather, airspace and principles of flight ie Vso, Vs1, Vx,Vy. Speeds maneuvers like V1 cuts, v2, and acceleration heights are a more advance maneuver and usually reserved for more advanced aircraft and pilots. I have been a pilot 16 years and I never had to worry about a V1 cut until I was in intitial jet training for the airline. Mind you I am a fixed wing guy and have zero rotor time.

Last edited:

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
The book mentioned above it good. You can also search the internet for subjects like "Helicopter Basic Instrumentation" for example, or "Aviation Weather" and start reading some stuff online.

I would go do like a 3 hour intro class to flying helicopter's at a private flight school around your way. Sounds like your just interested in aviation in general which is good, but if your end goal is aviation medicine then don't kill yourself studying everything because you will pickup alot of that on the job, as you already mentioned.

You could also pay for some CTS modules. They are painful videos, but some of them, like the aviation weather one, contain some good information.

Good luck

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It will all be part of your orientation when you get hired into a flight position. Until then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

OP
OP
B

blindsideflank

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks, I'll check out those above resources.
Ya, I know that flight physiology and emerg procedures will be covered (and I have already had some of that training to work on the plane and helo on overtime).

I was just asking because we end up hanging around in airports a lot and I like to be able to comprehend some of the small talk that's going on. Not to mention the time when we had to abort a take off at V1 and there was lots of talking going on after, and I was oblivious.

To anyone interested in my critical care job... As an ACP, I accepted a position that will be 2 years training not including the courses of a critical care nursing program that had to be done prior to starting. I'm proud of the standards our service holds for these positions, and the continuing education that is offered.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
I am a fan of aviation, hence the picture.

One of my facorites is "The Greatest Flying Stories Ever Told" by Lamar Underwood.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Start with Stick and Rudder. It's a classic. I liked Greatest Stories Told. I'll try to find which one it is, but a Spirit of St. Louis one was my favorite.

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
Check out the Helicopter Flying Handbook. It's published by the FAA and used to train helicopter pilots. I took flying lessons in an airplane and I used the airplane version. If you want to go a little more in depth with aerodynamics, I'd also recommend Aerodynamics for the Naval Aviator. It goes more in depth than the FAA books, but not as far as an aerospace engineering book. Good luck, flying is a lot of fun (but really expensive).