Recertification Timeline

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi All,

My training officer was out sick for a couple of weeks so my re-certification just got approved 2 days ago on the NREMT website. Someone told me that means it won't get renewed in time, but as long we have submitted it before the 31st, I should be ok right?

Someone else told me that also means there might be a few days/weeks that I can't work until I get my cert in the mail, but I contend that this is also false because the state license is what allows me to work, not the NREMT.

Need I be worried about a shift the first week of April or should I be ok?

Thanks,
-WU

phideux

Forum Captain
After it posted on the NR website, I got my new card in the mail in 2 days. As long as you have a valid state card, you should be good to go.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
As long as its post marked by 31st of March or submitted online by March 31st your good to go.

Summit

Critical Crazy
OP, doesn't your state give you a cert that has a few months later expiration than NR? My state gives 6 months past your NR expire date to give time to work through any problems at NR and then the state when recertifying.

As long as its post marked by 31st of March or submitted online by March 31st your good to go.

Submitted as in submitted and awaiting the TO approval?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If by mail, then in the mail with a post mark date of 31st march at the latest.

If by online re certification, I am not sure. I would think all signatures from all required parties and submitted prior to midnight on 31 March. I have always done mail in, this year it was because I recertified as "inactive"

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In Ohio, it is the Ohio cert that matters.

NREMT is just nice because it lets you recert with 1/2 the Ohio required hours for CE.

Myself and many collegues have worked in Ohio for years without NREMT cert. If you plan to stay in Ohio, it is really not worth the money.

Summit

Critical Crazy
In Ohio, it is the Ohio cert that matters.

NREMT is just nice because it lets you recert with 1/2 the Ohio required hours for CE.

Myself and many collegues have worked in Ohio for years without NREMT cert. If you plan to stay in Ohio, it is really not worth the money.

I thought Ohio needed 40 hours every 3 years?
Colorado needs 36 every 3 (50 every 3 for Is and Ps).
NR for EMT needs 72 every 2.

I worked for a CO service that would only hire NR providers because the chief said that the CO standards were too low. He was pretty pro education. He'd pay for any EMT's college A&P class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Veneficus

Forum Chief
That says 40/3 for EMTs, 86/3 for medics... or NR. Perhaps I misunderstood your point.

I just rounded to double for the medics.

I guess I am fired :)

Being from the northeast part (real Ohio, not West VA annex :) ) everyone is a medic or in medic school. I totally forgot there are any EMTbs in the state.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, thanks for forgetting about those of us who work in south central ohio! There are entire counties here that don't have a single paramedic in them!

And yes, my state card doesn't expire for another year or two, but someone said that since I use NR to recert for Ohio, I have to keep NR. That made no sense to me, but I thought I'd make sure it made no sense to anyone else either!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Wow, thanks for forgetting about those of us who work in south central ohio! There are entire counties here that don't have a single paramedic in them!

And yes, my state card doesn't expire for another year or two, but someone said that since I use NR to recert for Ohio, I have to keep NR. That made no sense to me, but I thought I'd make sure it made no sense to anyone else either!

Like I said my friend, up in the northeast we are not sure that is really part of Ohio. :)

It has an entirely different culture and you don't even speak the same language.

Most of you don't even know the difference between pop and a soda. :)

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
After it posted on the NR website, I got my new card in the mail in 2 days. As long as you have a valid state card, you should be good to go.

Wow, it came in the mail yesterday (well it could have come the day before but I forgot to grab the mail that day!)

Does this mean that I'm also most likely not going to be audited? Because while I have the CEs and I easily have the CE hours (I'm in med school and have hundreds of hours eligible as CEs), documenting them above what they have required so far will be a pain in the butt. I can do it, but they'll be getting a FedEx box or three worth of syllabi and records if they request it...

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Like I said my friend, up in the northeast we are not sure that is really part of Ohio. :)

It has an entirely different culture and you don't even speak the same language.

Most of you don't even know the difference between pop and a soda. :)

Pop is a fizzy drink with bubbles that make small popping noises! What the hell is a soda?