really scared

ryans_honey04

Forum Ride Along
ok,so im really new to this. ive been a stay at home mom for the past 4 years. i just found out that there is an EMT basic class here in town. ive been wanting to go into nursing but i cant at the moment. the EMT classes are at night,which is a big plus. i think the pay around here is about 10ish an hour and im good with that,since my husband works also. ok,now im rambling. anyway,im really scared. ive never done anything. ive never even had a job. sad,i know. can someone just tell me about the training process and what a typical day is like. and how much of a pay increase if i was to eventually go on and become a paramedic? any info would really help me decide if this is really for me.

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
EMT training is basically or mostly all skills. While there are lectures EMT's are pretty basic. Depending on your class and where your from also. I just hope the program in your area isn't a 2 weeks program. My training was 4 hours lectures and 4 hours of practical skill.

EMT's don't get pay a lot which is why people say if your in it for the money, you should find another job. While medics, start around $20+ depending where your at also. There will be written and skill testing in class and after that you must pass the NREMT.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
You don't tell us anything about where you are, and that makes all the difference in regards to how to accurately answer your questions. There are places where an EMT card is your immediate key to a job, albeit a low paying, non-emergency one. But there are many more places in the U.S. where there are no non-fire EMS employers, and only a couple of non-emergency ambulance employers, yet several EMT schools cranking out hundreds of new EMTs a year to compete for those very few jobs. You had better do a very serious job market survey of your area before wasting any time or money on a patch that gets you nothing in return. The bottom line is that the vast majority of all EMTs are unemployed and will never even have a job in EMS because of the glut of patches and shortage of jobs. Don't be that guy. Do the research.

whizkid1

Forum Probie
Dont be scared to do the training,I was out of school for 18 years when the opportunity came for me to take EMT-Basic course. I said to myself I cant do this studyingetc. but I went for it and I did it you can to. In Minnesota it is 110 hours of training,I am making $14.72 per hour on a Basic service.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
It's sad how very little EMTs are paid. I got paid more as a forklift operator in a warehouse...

But I'd much rather be a medical responder than a lifer at some dead end, boring warehousing job.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
It's sad how very little EMTs are paid. I got paid more as a forklift operator in a warehouse...

But I'd much rather be a medical responder than a lifer at some dead end, boring warehousing job.

Everyone complains about pay, but isn't it true at most jobs where you have this "little" (yes, little, 3-4 months at most, mine was only 2...) education / training. And get paid more than 11 bucks an hour? At other jobs where you may get more, do you really have a chance to advance? Do you really have a chance to make a difference in someone elses life?

Yes, it's not very much, but honestly, once you become a paramedic (yes, advance, don't stay EMT-B forever), you have a tone of opportunities that open up. Just like if you go to school and get a degree. Only thing that's different with this and a degree, with a degree, you can't start actually working in that field after a few months of training while working on the degree... (No, I'm not comparing the educational value of a degree to a paramedic license)

PeteBlair

Forum Crew Member
Keep this in mind: Whether you think you can or cannot - in either case, you are correct. It's more about attitude than aptitude.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
just do it.

Aliakey

Forum Probie
I got started in EMS later in life as well... as a mom too. I was simply looking for an interesting class during the summer and well, I got "hooked" on it since day one of class. I am now a Paramedic with a major 9-1-1 service, with eight years of experience in various other services, including private and volunteer. In my neck of the woods, the cost of living is a bit lower than the national average; entry-level Paramedics with this 9-1-1 service make $17.00/hr with an average of 8 calls per 12 hour shift on a mixed truck (one EMT and one Paramedic crew). Paramedics with the local large private service fare about $ 11.00/hr, and take on more calls actually.

It is scary to start... I've been in your shoes. Just go into class with a willingness to learn, and that attitude will be your best tool. If you are practical, determined, gifted with common sense, don't mind developing a twisted sense of humor (which really saves your butt when you see some of that stuff that just simply cannot be explained in polite ways ;) ), and you don't mind building up a few muscles, you should do just fine. Remember to treat the patient as you would your own family.

Don't forget that the EMT class will be more than just classroom time. You will have to set aside a lot of time for scheduled rotations at the hospital and on the ambulance itself, outside of the classroom hours. Be aware of that before you sign up for class in case you need to arrange for child care or ???

If you do take the class, I strongly suggest right from the start that you picture in your mind why certain things are done to the patient (or Mr. Mannikin), or why the textbook is stressing certain points that otherwise seem unimportant. Understand the mechanics, understand how and *why* the body is going to react to what you do to it; don't just accept that you do a certain procedure because the book says so. Understand what is going on. When you work in the field, you'll then become a "thinking 'medic" rather than a "protocol monkey", which will become your strongest asset in caring for that patient. In EMS and with our aggressive protocols here, that is a much-desired trait when it comes to considering new-hires. We have EMT students on our trucks all the time, and I'll quiz the heck out of them to make sure they understand the reasons and implications of their treatments. We have to, really. We have a lot of freedom in our patient care here, which is great, but can also get those folks who can't think their way through a patient's medical problem into a lot of trouble. They are not kept for long, and their reputation follows them forever.

There's my golden apple to you. ;-) Even if you do decide to go on to nursing, the EMT education will give you a head start on the rest of the nursing students in your class, and will also help tremendously while working on your hospital clinicals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Cherokee Nation EMS and Muskogee Co EMS are both good services. Pafford is okay too. Muskogee does not have very many EMTs and have strong medic protocols. I am not super familar with Cherokee Nation but I have worked scenes with them and attended training in the past. RidRyder will probably be your best bet on some detailed knowledge. OK EMS as a whole is in severe trouble right now.

thanks for all the imput everyone. im still scared,but im determined to do it and do it well.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There are two major EMS within the Tahlequah area. Cherokee Nation and Tahlequah City Ambulance.

Cherokee Naton has always been regarded as a well developed service but recently has decreased their education areas. I am sure alike everyone else, budget cuts may have to part to blame. They routinely had swift water rescue certification and CCEMT/P courses, but it has been a while since I have seen them active. As well, was informed they may not wish to continue their Paramedic program when accreditation is required.

Again, the history of the service is above normal; the other problem is NAI members usually get priorty of hiring and if you have worked with IHS before, then you may know the internal politics of tribal affairs is a messy and nasty thing.

Tahlequah City Ambulance is a smaller EMS service, and truthfully I know very little about them. I can find out more; if wished.

There are several local EMS and as was mentioned Muskogee Co EMS is a nicer large service that just recently enlarged itself and has agressive protocols but large coverage area. I would arange clinicals accordingly if possible to view services.

I forewarn you it is not the hourly wage. Remember, EMS does NOT have to follow Wage & Labor numbers. One may obtain $20 hr but only get paid for 12 hours out of the shift.. or worse.. so be cautious and investigate further.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator: