Rate study

emtI

Forum Crew Member
Hi. I am doing some research, and wondered if some of you would be willing to share with me the following information.

We are researching rates around the United States as far as BLS ambulance service goes.

Please feel free to pm me if you would rather not answer on the forum.

What do you charge for:

BLS-emergency
BLS-non-emergency
Loaded mileage

What state is your service in?
Is your service full time paid or volunteer or a combination of both?
Are you funded by a tax base, insurance billing, or both?

I would like to hear from other services here in Kansas, as well as around the country.

Thank you all for your assistance.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by emtI@Oct 5 2005, 09:59 AM
Hi. I am doing some research, and wondered if some of you would be willing to share with me the following information.

We are researching rates around the United States as far as BLS ambulance service goes.

Please feel free to pm me if you would rather not answer on the forum.

What do you charge for:

BLS-emergency
BLS-non-emergency
Loaded mileage

What state is your service in?
Is your service full time paid or volunteer or a combination of both?
Are you funded by a tax base, insurance billing, or both?

I would like to hear from other services here in Kansas, as well as around the country.

Thank you all for your assistance.
Paid:

Didn't do BLS

ALS-Emergency: 700.00
ALS-Non-Emergency: Didn't transport them, waited for a volly BLS squad to do that.
Loaded Mileage: 2.50 per mile for every mile past the closest hospital, which could handle just about everything. If that hospital wasn't good enough, they were going to pay.
There was also a 12.00 fuel surcharge for all LDT's over 100 miles.
We were paid by Insurance, Medicare, municipal contracts, and litigation from unpaid bills. No, we didn't sue old ladies who didn't pay, we sued nursing facilities, hospitals, and estates that didn't pay for large bills.

Volunteer: BLS

BLS-Emergency: 425.00
BLS-Rescue: 250.00 (Rope rescue, land rescue, vehicle rescue, water rescue, etc)
BLS-Non Emergency: (Memberships pay mileage, not transport; non members pay 300.00 + Loaded Mileage)

Loaded Miles: 1.25 for the first 25 miles, 2.00 for each mile after that.

Memberships sell for 25 bucks for singles/ 35 bucks for families/ 45 for vacation homes.

Members get 25 loaded miles of transport to the nearest ER. After that their insurance company pays for the mileage to the next hospital. They don't have to pay for Emergency or Rescue fees. So it's worth the 25/35/45 bucks b/c ya never know when you'll need help. ** if the member has no insurance, they don't pay anything.

Local Fire & EMS active members, and their *immediate* family aren't billed for any services except LDT's, and only then do they pay for the fuel.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I couldn't give exact numbers where I work now.

I used to work for a few different places in Philly and the rates I can remember are:

Transport -
ALS: 450 transport, 4.50 a mile.
BLS: 300 transport, 3.00 a mile.

Jon

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
BLS-emergency - $0
BLS-non-emergency - $0
Loaded mileage - $0

What state is your service in? - NEW YORK

Is your service full time paid or volunteer or a combination of both? - VOLUNTEER W/1 PAID MEDIC 19HRS/DAY.

Are you funded by a tax base, insurance billing, or both? - TAX BASE & DONATIONS, NO BILLING, NO SOLICITING DONATIONS

OP
OP
E

emtI

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. If anyone else would like to share, please do.

Thanks again.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
ALS Emergency- $450 + $9 for each mile after 1
BLS Emergency $350 + $9 a mile after 1
BLS non emergency $250

Hospital base EMS with limited tax support

Funded by insurance mostly

call type: half 911 and half interfacility transport
Most 911 calls are transported 25 miles average.
Most transfers are an average of 120 miles.