Rapid Dosing of meds in RSI

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
Our formula is pretty simple. Evey RSI gets 20mg of Etomidate, 2mg/kg of Sux. Up to 100mcg of Fent... Then 0.1mg/kg vec and up to 10mg of versed.

Adults are either 70kg or 100kg. They come in big or small. :) That makes it simple.

I just can't get on board with a one-size-fits-all approach to airway management. I advocate for appropriate drugs, appropriate knowledge, some experience, and then the freedom to choose the most appropriate method of induction/intubation for a particular patient.

Up to 100mcg of fentanyl isn't much analgesia, especially if you're then going to a longer-acting paralytic and just midaz. Can you give more fent post-intubation? And can you just use vec if you want or do you have to use sux?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You may add more fent after a consult, the 100mcg is what is in the RSI standing orders. We only use the vec as a paralytic for anticipated long transports (the helo). And sux is the only paralytic allowed for the initial intubation.

Do I wish we carried Roc as well? Yes. Do I wish we used Ketamine as an induction med? YES!

However, this sedation/paralytic algorithm works well for most of our adult RSI cases, and for those that may require a deviation, our docs are very flexible with medics making changes, as long as they can justify why they want to go off the page. With more and more services losing RSI, and even basic intubation, having any flexibility in protocols is a good thing. Having medics smart enough to identify these situations is even better. ;)

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
Nice to hear there's some leeway. I consider the SAH or similar situation. Sleepy-time drugs are fine but there must still be one hell of a headache. I get especially nervous with long-acting patalytics. Analgesia=good in my books. But then, I've actually heard the line from the sending facility, "yep, he's being sedated with pavulon"......

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Yes, we still use versed post intubation but initially it 's Etomidate .3mg/kg

When I left it was still Versed and sux only.

The crazy thing is I'm actually using fent and midazolam more often than etomidate due to the patient population I RSI now.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Kyle,

We have also started using Ketamine to control combative psychotic patients. Works like a dream. We used to throw buckets of Versed, Benadryl, and Haldol and they took a goo nap later but it never controlled the acute behavior. One dose of Ketamine and they start starring at the walls. It's a life saver.

Working on getting ketamine protocols written and approved at the moment, I'm hoping to do a Nov-Dec rollout. I've heard more good things about ketamine than any drug in recent memory.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I just can't get on board with a one-size-fits-all approach to airway management. I advocate for appropriate drugs, appropriate knowledge, some experience, and then the freedom to choose the most appropriate method of induction/intubation for a particular patient.

Up to 100mcg of fentanyl isn't much analgesia, especially if you're then going to a longer-acting paralytic and just midaz. Can you give more fent post-intubation? And can you just use vec if you want or do you have to use sux?

I must fully agree with this.

First, if you are using RSI, you generally know what you are doing, why, have some experience, and hopefully some considerable QA/QI.

It seems the very nature of taking highly advanced prehospital providers, such as those capable of RSI, and restricting them to a formula is self defeating.

But that gets me started on my anti-protocol podium so I won't go there.

I understand the use of succs is selected more for its duration than actual purpose, which is to reduce the amount of opioids for anesthesia.

Some might argue that you are not inducing anesthesia, but if that is the case, what is the point of a sedative with a pain reliever?

AeroClinician

Forum Crew Member
Yes, we still use versed post intubation but initially it 's Etomidate .3mg/kg

I have given Etomidate so much that I made my own street formula for it ----> 3mgs for every 10kgs the pt. weighs.

Example: 80kg pt. gets 24mgs

Its accurate and hard to mess up when your tubing someone at 2am. :beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I have given Etomidate so much that I made my own street formula for it ----> 3mgs for every 10kgs the pt. weighs.

Example: 80kg pt. gets 24mgs

Its accurate and hard to mess up when your tubing someone at 2am. :beerchug:

Doesn't that pretty much match the 0.3mg/kg guideline that's the standard dosing? Not to mention its a pain to draw up something like 27mgs for say a 90kg patient?

AeroClinician

Forum Crew Member
Doesn't that pretty much match the 0.3mg/kg guideline that's the standard dosing? Not to mention its a pain to draw up something like 27mgs for say a 90kg patient?

Yes, that's what makes it great. I am saying its easier mental math to do it that way without pulling out the pen and paper. When your Etomidate is provided in a 20cc prefilled syringe with 40mgs, it's easy to give 13.5mLs and achieve 27mgs. How is that difficult?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Well, frankly, moving the decimal point one place over isn't all that mind blowing.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Yes, that's what makes it great. I am saying its easier mental math to do it that way without pulling out the pen and paper. When your Etomidate is provided in a 20cc prefilled syringe with 40mgs, it's easy to give 13.5mLs and achieve 27mgs. How is that difficult?

Probably because 20ml syringes (at least the ones I've used) don't tend to have half ml marks. Furthermore since the dosing range is 0.1-0.6 why not just give 30 and make it really easy?

AeroClinician

Forum Crew Member
Probably because 20ml syringes (at least the ones I've used) don't tend to have half ml marks. Furthermore since the dosing range is 0.1-0.6 why not just give 30 and make it really easy?

Don't need half mL marks, just approximate inbetween the 2 marks. The reason why is because Etomidate can cause ARDS in the pt's recovery later. So I want to give as little as I can to help minimize it.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Just because some people are complete idiots does not mean that something normal suddenly becomes brilliant.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Don't need half mL marks, just approximate inbetween the 2 marks. The reason why is because Etomidate can cause ARDS in the pt's recovery later. So I want to give as little as I can to help minimize it.

Do you understand the mechanism by which etomidate is going to possibly cause ARDS? 3mgs isn't going to make that big of a difference. The big thing is watching the patient population your using it in and selecting a different agent in poor candidates.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

I've seen the literature, but do you understand WHY it impacts ARDS rates and why it may be better to chose a different agent in the septic and severe trauma patient, what those agents may be and what can be done post induction to counteract etomidate administration? Shaving 3mgs off your dose isn't going to help, avoiding etomidate entirely will.