Random partners

JWalters

Forum Crew Member
Currently I run on our FD-based 911 ambulance in town, and it's a small town and even smaller staff so while I am on shift with different people on a rotating basis everyone knows everyone...no one set partner but everyone works well together because they each know how the others work...if that makes sense. :)

I was just offered (and accepted) a per diem position at a private company that I applied and screened at. While it will be almost exclusively IFT's until I get out of my trial period (which will take a looooooong while unless I grab a LOT of shifts) it will give me the pt contacts I need for medic school this coming winter, which was the whole point of going for this job. Our little town doesn't have a whole of calls.

What I am most uneasy about is the fact that, being per diem, I will have a different partner every shift I work. Hoping that someone has some good advice as how to handle this. I can get along with just about anyone, and I'm not looking to make friends, but there is something to be said for knowing what your partner is going to before he/she does it and that bond-for lack of a better word-will be lacking in this situation. Anyone work something similar? How do you make it best work? Thanks!

Angel

Paramedic
i have different partners every shift (though some, ive worked with MANY times), i just go into it kind of quiet and feel the person out. in all reality, you are new to them and they probably have the same thoughts. theres another thread about working with new partners and some of the ice breaker questions.

some i like are 'how long have you been working here?'
or figuring out what radio station the other person likes.
something that will hopefully spark the convo and experience can come up.

some partners are better than others. I worked with a girl last night who talked to EVERYone but me...i just put my headphones in and watched videos on my phone. it can suck, but some people just have no personality or dont talk to the 'new' guy.
be prepared for both, but try not to come off as knowing it all because you have a lot of experience. you can share and mentor some of the newer folks.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Will you be working with medics or basics? I find that IFT calls tend to not be as "busy" and emergent 911 calls, thus knowing what your partner is doing next is not as crucial. That being said, communication is key to running a smooth call, as simple as "i will grab a set of vitals while you get a report from the nurse", "want to get fuel/food when we finish up the next call?", or "do you have enough sheet to do this transfer without hurting your back?"

Even seasoned pros have quirks and don't all do things exactly the same way. As the FNG I bite my tongue and so OK I can do it your way, unless there is a safety issue.

OP
OP
J

JWalters

Forum Crew Member
I find that IFT calls tend to not be as "busy" and emergent 911 calls, thus knowing what your partner is doing next is not as crucial.

Thanks guys. Beano, I guess while I know this I hadn't really thought about this-thanks for that reminder.

I am sure that I am probably worrying about nothing but I have heard such horror stories about partners....both long term partners and short term ones...and am lucky that I have never had any bad experiences.

Even 911 there is one guy that I don't work as well with as I do everyone else...he s a great guy, a good EMT and we get along fine we just don't seem to be able to get on the same page as quickly as I can with everyone else. I suppose if I keep that in mind it should help me work things out with the new gig as well.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Even 911 there is one guy that I don't work as well with as I do everyone else..

And I have to remind myself all the time that there are people in this world that I am just not going to click with. I have a tendency to want to be liked by everyone. It the reality is that not everyone has the same agenda, and I didn't get into medicine to make friends.

As long as you keep it professional and don't beef, you should be ok, even with peeps you don't "work as well with". Work together on the call, when the patient is D/Ced pick up a book or put your headphones on, no harm no foul.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
for the most part, i hate random partners. the first few hours of the shift are spent trying to figure out what the other person likes, both on a call and when not.

as a full time employee, i like having a permanent partner; good or bad, at least it's consistent.

as a per diem, you always get a random person. it's the nature of the position, you go wherever they can fit you, and it all depends on your availability. Just remember, your only there for 12 hours, so as long as your paycheck doesn't bounce, don't stress it. do your job, go home at the end of the day, and don't worry about it.

FltMedicRob

Forum Crew Member
I have one job that I have a set partner (double medic) and the other that I get a random basic. I don't mind it either way.
It's all about setting expectations and clearly communication what you want/need.

For example if I get a basic I have never worked with before I will show them how I want things set up in the ambulance so there is no confusion or frustration on their or my part.

If I'm working double medic then I ask what my partner wants / expects and we can make it work.

D Brim

Forum Probie
Good advice from everyone who has responded, I'm sure you'll be just fine. The fact that you are cognizant of the need to try to adapt to new and variable partners is a good sign that you're considerate of your partners, and that's a good place to start.

In addition to other's advice I can offer my insight from the other side of the table (often having different part-timers/new employees as my partner)

The single most important trait in a partner is that they are easy to get along with, everything else is forgivable.

Partners that act like they know nothing (i.e. "How should I drive to the grocery store?") are just as bad as those who are know-it-all's.

During a long shift everyone needs some fun, some chit-chat, AND some quiet time, don't insist on learning your partner's life story when it's quiet time.

Don't take everything personally. Be yourself, relax and just try to have as fun of a shift as the call volume allows

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That was how I worked IFT, rarely with the same partner for more than a week. Unless I thought the full time person was a total d-bag, I was more than happy to play by their "rules." If they like to alternate who attends and who drives, awesome. If they want to drive the first half of the shift, that's fine too. If they want to listen to their music and I don't hate it, alright then. Sometimes it's about picking your battles so to speak. Don't get walked on, just to try to make things go smoothly. It's a bit of a line, but you'll figure it out with time.