Forum Lieutenant
Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I like the name “GSFDQBTHAAS” study…

"Give some freakin' drugs quick before they have another awful seizure”

Seriously though, maybe this will eliminate some of the status seizure calls we get...

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Wonder why they did not include the IN route? I can deliver a dose via MAD faster and safer. How about muscle damage, bent needles and partial doses due to the sheer force of the siezure?
Given the options.... one would think that IN midazolam would be the safest route.

NomadicMedic

Has there been a study of IV vs IN Midaz in Status seizure? I did a quick search, but didn't see anything...

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
Seems like it would only be used in a bio-terrorist situation only similar to Atropine and Pralidoxime in the Mark I injectors.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Yeah, Atropens and 2-PAM pens!

Are these injectors for use by the patient?

NomadicMedic

I gotta think it would be pretty hard to inject yourself when you're in seizure. More likely for parents or for teachers… Or someone who's around a person who has a history of uncontrollable seizure

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Experiencing aura, or recovered from one and verging into another? Oh, you're right. Great abuse item, though, right?

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
the only IV vs IN midazolam studies I could find were done for sedation (one being small bowel biopsy and the other dental procedures). IN med administration, though known and used to some extent for a while only became popular within the past 10 years in EMS. I can only imagine how many years of planning went in to the study prior to being initiated, the proposals could have been written before IN route became popular for med administration in EMS. I can't say for sure but I'd guess that IM route has been studied more than the IN route. I imagine someone somewhere will now be inspired to do a small study of IM vs. IN midazolam. Time will tell.