Radio straps

RsqCrack

Bandwidth Binge
What do you think about the NY Firefighter style radio strap? Sometime in the last decade they've exploded in popularity and I see them with all of the fire and EMS folks. They're almost universally leather, and worn like a leatherman or wristwatch.

How often are they cleaned? How often and thoroughly are they decontaminated? Hazmat and turnout gear don't go in the cab of your rig, why would your radio strap if it receives similar or the same exposure?

There's increasing options now that are wash and wear, and a few that seem analogous to the Iron Duck impermeable material, yet leather is still the norm.

Do you use a leather radio strap? How do you clean it and how often do you do so? When will you discard your current strap? What would make you discard it sooner than your planned replacement?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I rather like my (non-leather) radio strap. I find it's a lot more comfortable to have it on a strap than on my belt, as I just use a regular belt, not a "duty belt".

I have to imagine the leather ones are awfully hard to clean. Mine is nylon and machine washable.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have a leather radio strap. It gets wiped down with a Kavi-wipe if it gets schmutz on it.

COVA2006

Forum Probie
Just my two cents. The Firefighter type strap has the possibility of being used as a way for a pt. to grab you and harm you. I'd rather use a radio holster and clip the mic to my shirt or jacket. If a pt. grabs my radio's cord, he can't use it to harm me.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Just my two cents. The Firefighter type strap has the possibility of being used as a way for a pt. to grab you and harm you. I'd rather use a radio holster and clip the mic to my shirt or jacket. If a pt. grabs my radio's cord, he can't use it to harm me.
They most certainly can use the cord to hurt you

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If a pt. grabs my radio's cord, he can't use it to harm me.
Your radio cord can very much be used to harm you. You must be as aware of that fact as you would be of your radio strap being able to be used against you.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
They could also grab you by the shirt. Never bought that, if you’re at all concerned don’t get so close. Sometimes I wear a radio strap AND stethoscope. Also pants.

We wear them cuz fire department and they issue them to us. It’s a nice place to put raptors and a flashlight that I don’t have to sit on all day. When I work not at the fire department I don’t wear one, but I’m in the cab of an ambulance all day and I find the strap annoying.

I do think remote speaker mics are essential. If things are going really bad, I want to be able to talk and hit the panic button with minimal movement. Strap is nice for t shirt days where the mic doesn’t have a good place to clip.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I like to be able to take it off and sling it over a chair. I’m in an office most days and when I have to go on a call, I can grab my strap and go.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Strap is nice for t shirt days where the mic doesn’t have a good place to clip.
I would so love a t-shirt as a uniform...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I like how you can whip it around and let fly… “What radio call?”
Almost as effective as swinging a backboard around to get the crowd to back up

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
They could also grab you by the shirt. Never bought that, if you’re at all concerned don’t get so close. Sometimes I wear a radio strap AND stethoscope. Also pants.

We wear them cuz fire department and they issue them to us. It’s a nice place to put raptors and a flashlight that I don’t have to
When did you start wearing pants?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Only recently.

DecpFL8VwAI-c-6.jpg:large

And the rest of us are ever so grateful.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
As to the possibility of a radio strap or a mic cord or stethoscope being used against you as a weapon, yes it is possible. You DO need to be aware of this possibility and be ready to counter that threat should it occur. We don't need to be paranoid about it and we don't need to be oblivious/dismissive of that either.

Radio straps, like all pieces of equipment, have their pros and cons. Just use the equipment appropriately for your particular situation and as long as your employer doesn't prohibit it, use it if it works for you. I use a sling bag at one of my jobs and it works for me. I know of some transport nurses that use chest rigs and it works for them. I have a few different waist packs but I currently don't use them at work.