R-E-S-P-E-C-T Find out what it means to me!

Hastings

Noobie
What would you consider appropriate for a basic class? I just became a TA (teaching assistant) for a basic class and had the same scenario with the students.

edit: this is a college class, 1800-2200

Actually, not only is the situation Rid mentioned inappropriate from a respect/professionalism point of view, but a practical manner.

In my program, you got kicked out if you wore anything except clean steel toe shoes.

My opinion? Black steel toe shoes, navy professional pants, class uniform shirt. All clothes clean and smooth, all hair short (or pulled up) and clean. No facial hair. No piercings. No hats. Well-kept.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
BC, It allows the class to get to business. "Me teacher, you student. Hear we go".

(Pun intended).
Oh, and there is a good legal reason for explicit dress codes, too, besides safety. I fail to believe anyone can tolerate absolutely anything worn to the classroom, no matter how laissez faire they care to appear. Without firm guidelines you shade over into unacceptable clothing. How about pajamas? Underwear (male or female or switched)? Pants drooped down? How about clothing which is obviously making the student uncomfortable despite being hip and hot? If you say "no" without a rule, you are administering unfair and possibly discriminatory treatment, unequal, and you can wind up meauriong hemlines or haircuts like we had done to us in the Sixties.
(PS: Note that I did not specify WHAT the dress code specifies. Could be color of the pajamas...).

Hastings

Noobie
Actually, I want to make it known that I wear my hair like David Bowie in his younger years, so hair is more lenient than the rest.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Must make for some real "helmet head"!

;)..........

mikie

Forum Lurker
What's a "1800-2200?"

Sorry for the confusion, I did mean time.

This class seems very Very VERY laid back (student-wise). There are students in it I have doubts that will pass (those who don't take it very seriously at all). I don't think the instructor has guidelines for the class regarding a dress code, but I do believe some sort of professionalism should be required, regardless of a collegiate class or not (ages 18-22ish).

I think where the class is being taught has an influence on the dress code. Ie- if the class is being taught at a private EMS institution, then YES a dress code should be enforced, whereas this class is full of college students with hectic lives already, mostly living on campus, relax it a bit.

As long as no one is wearing skirts though on the days where we get 'physical...' :ph34r:

OP
OP
BossyCow

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
i hate being called ma'am....makes me feel old but i guess its a southern thing

Yeah, well I am old but nothing can make me feel old without my compliance. I'm not known for my complicance! :p