Quick Question about the NREMT

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have asked multiple people this question and always gotten a different answer-- here goes.
I took a Basic class at NEU that ended at the end of May. I am slated to take the Massachusetts practical test next week, and the written two weeks after that. Assuming all goes well, I wont be certified any earlier then the first of August.
My understand was that once I got my MA card, if, within a short period of time, I then applied to the NR, all I would need to take is the written test- that it is easier to get an NR card shortly after finishing a class or getting a state card. Is that correct?
What would change if I applied to take the NR BEFORE finishing my state test? Would I then need to take a national practical test?
Is there any advantage to finishing my MA cert before the national? The opposite?
One last question: At what point should I ask the program director @ NEU to attest to me taking the class? How long should that take?
In theory, this is all simple, but I have been fed so much mis-information this has become complicated. Thank you for helping me...

Thx
DES

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You need to be state certified in order to register for the National Registry test.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting how you need to be state certified in order to become NREMT, but MA doesn't accept NREMT for a state certification.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
gee.. that must vary state to state as well... in WI, you need to be Nationally registered to get the state license.... I dont understand how the National Registry requirements can be different state to state.... cause they're national, right ? :unsure::huh:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The National Registry does not train, but merely registers who is certified under a national standard. They test because they need to establish that certain criteria are met, regardless of the system you were trained in, or will operate in. In order to register for the test, you need to be authorized by an agency. Most agencies require that you pass their course and have their certification in hand before taking the National Registry test. There may be exceptions to this, but the norm is local first, national second.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
OK - that kinda explains it.. I had to pass the community college course to qualify for the NR - the test was written the first day, but would NOT be graded until I passed the practicals the following day... when I got the pass for the written, I was able to apply for the state license....

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In Georgia, the NREMT is the state exam. We pass the NREMT, we get our numbers.

But you still need authorization from the agency who trained you before you can take the NREMT test.

OP
OP
M

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
But you still need authorization from the agency who trained you before you can take the NREMT test.
Thank you to everyone who helped answer my question.

BossyCow, that is where i am lost. My training agency is willing to attest to me taking my class--- what if I had taken my class in MA, but had no intent to work in MA, just to get my NR and move elsewhere-- what would I do? The NR cant rely that heavily on state certifying organizations.
Under what circumstances do I need to take the NR practical exam and when am I exempted?

THanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Bossy,

The ONLY authorization we recieved was the completion of the EMT-I course. Nothing else was needed.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In order to work in a particular system, you have to have your certification under the rules of that system. Why would you take a class and get a certification under rules, protocols and systems that you are not going to implement in the practice? You may be wasting your time, because the system or agency you end up working for may require you to retake the entire EMT course or challenge their final exam before certifying you in their system.

That said, there may be areas where the national cert is all you will need. My state is a bit more restrictive than that. I guess I just don't understand wanting to train to the minimum. I took classes not required for certification but required for my thorough understanding of the topic and I continue to take classes.

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Bossy,

You and I cant seem to agree on certain things. First and foremost, I was taught by one of the authors of the Georgia EMS cirriculum, at a state college, not a fly by night trade school. Second, in Georgia, we are required to be trained to the EMT-I 85 level, as set forth by the National Registry. Our scope of practice here is much broader than in other states. We can assist with more meds, start IV's, etc.

I should say that maybe you should reserve your comments until you at least ASK how people are trained. Some states are more restrictive, and some less. It was insulting for you to say that we may not be trained properly, when you have no idea how, or by whom we have been trained.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you read something into my post I did not intend. I made no comment about the training level of any system. My comment was to the original poster about EMT-B. NR has nothing to do with the level of training. I think I made that comment a few times. NR is a certification obtained after you have been trained by some other facility. You disagree with this?

TripsTer

Forum Crew Member
You need to be state certified in order to register for the National Registry test.

Hm, In Texas before you can get your state card, you have to have taken your NR exam.

I guess that's because the state uses the NR exam as their exam.

disassociative

Forum Captain
Here in TN, you pay the application fee; and show up as Applicant In Process until you pass your NREMT and the state division of EMS verifies the information--afterwhich, the state approves your license.

We also do things a bit backwards from other states--we take our practicals before the written(CBT now) test in order to alleviate the stress.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Hm, In Texas before you can get your state card, you have to have taken your NR exam.

I guess that's because the state uses the NR exam as their exam.

Yes but... someone at the state level has to authorize you to take the test, probably the one who trained you in the skills you will be tested on.