questions . . .

patrick

Forum Ride Along
I am planning to get I emt basic this summer.
I have heard so many things about this career and want to get more opinions.
First, how hard is it really to get a job as an emt . .
I imagine urban areas will have more jobs. But I also imagine there are jobs everywhere . . no or yes
Also It seems everyone has such a different kind of emt experience anything about hours and schedules
( i.e how much do youhave to work a week to survive . .)
what is the pay range . . (it is hourly .. no)
and I am just asking about emt basic. I know that there are various levels and that it would be smart to continue on after I have some experience.
I am just curious if after I get my certification if I will be able to get a job or if I am dreaming. Many peopel here seem to have jobs ..are you all paramedics . . I live in california but ideally would like to live in Oregon or another rural type area . . . Thanks for any and all help and info
If you have any other links or forums that I should browse let me know thanks

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
welcome Patrick

if your going to megaopolis you might try looking at JEMS magazine and their annual pay scale poll, employment & classified sections.... if your going rural things are not usually as rosey...

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
If you subscribe to JEMS, you can use code on your mailing lable to use their website for free...

nyc.ems

Forum Crew Member
hey patrick! you picked a great field to start in. your expierience will depend on where you work,like here in nyc it is fast and you get to see everything. you need to be physicaly fit for the most part,also mentally ready to deal with alot of different kind of jobs.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
EMT-B - Pay is hourly, and low.

It depends on the "median wage" in you area... I've heard of EMT's in parts of California making 16-18 dollars an hour, but that it was is expected so they can live in that area.

In parts of Texas and other areas, EMT's make minumim wage, about 5.50 an hour.

There will always be jobs.... just not always wher you are, or wher you want to work. It is usually difficult getting into a "911" service, but getting into working transport shouldn't be too difficult.

Oh, and welcome to EMTlife... We put the Fun in Dysfuntional.

Jon

OP
OP
P

patrick

Forum Ride Along
Thanks!!!

thank you so much to everyone that responded. BUT please feel free to put your two cents in if you have not.
Thanks again for all the info!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:) :) :) Welcome! :) :) :)

From what I could tell it all depends on what area you live in. If I've learned one thing from this site, no EMS system is the same anywhere.