Questions for professionals.

us_linguist

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys. I'm coming up on the end of my military service (combat medical experience along with my linguistics) and I'm interested in a job in public safety. I have 9 years of military experience and I'm currently taking the EMT 1:Basic Training course so I'll have the standard EMT certification.

The question I had is I'm very interested in jobs such as search and rescue. You know, the guys I see pulling people out of flooded rivers and such. Where does one look for these jobs? What separate qualifications are needed?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

~Steve

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Check with the County Sheriff department. Around here, the Santa Clara County Sheriff has a decent S&R setup.

Otherwise we have the 129th Air Rescue Wing out of Moffett Field. It's a California Air National Guard unit.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i couldnt tell you where to start in monterey. been there a few times(sly mcflys on cannery row comes to mind) but dont know any thing abiut that industry out there

now out my way, then we could talk

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Maybe look into the Coast Guard.

OP
OP
U

us_linguist

Forum Ride Along
Thing is I'm not staying around here in Monterey. I'm a southern boy and it looks like I'm headed back to the Georgia-Alabama area. I was more asking in a general view such as I didn't know the Sheriff's Department would handle S&R. Do all Sheriff's Departments handle S&R? I did find out from my brother-in-law (firefighter / EMT in Habersham Co) that I should hit up the GEMA website and FEMA sites.

And yes, Kev, Cannery Row is great.

Thanks guys! But what about qualifications? Are there separate classes for S&R?

~Steve

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
I would check with either your local fire department or sheriff's department. My friend in Sacramento is doing a mountain S&R program...it's a separate class and volunteer, not paid, but it's S&R. *shrugs*

OP
OP
U

us_linguist

Forum Ride Along
Thanks premed! I'll give them a call. My father does volunteer FF work in Russell Co, AL and he says the rescue teams who pull people out of the Chatahoochie are mostly volunteer except for specialized divers and such. I think I'll get into EMT where I want to live then research into the volunteer areas around where I'm at. Thanks!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well im a sar tech, tech rescue tech, csr tech, extrication tech.

got most of my training in the private sector. work for a private company thats an on site tech/csr team. plus a local ema. plus the ambulance service

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We have Sheriff's office SAR unit that works in the county and is all volunteer. We train to NASAR standards and work with a State issued incident number. We are very rural and have a large area of national park and unincorporated county areas that have no civil agency overseeing rescue work within them. Local cities have their own "Special Ops" units as part of the Fire Department. If we get into a situation where we need Swiftwater Rescue, or HazMat or Confined Space, we would call them in for manpower and additional resources. Some of our volunteers are career with those agencies.

There are not a huge amount of those kinds of calls so the training and liability for maintaining a paid unit that does only that is rare.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
I'm wondering why he called us professionals?:wacko:

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I'm wondering why he called us professionals?:wacko:

Speak for yourself!! I'm as professional as they get! I love to help my patients keep thier hand writing skills up! LOL