Questions about paramedic school. Also a question for Mass residents!

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Okay so when attending paramedic school did you guys continue to work full time as a emt? Or part time? Do all paramedic schools require 1 year of experience to sign up? They seemed to here in mass... Anyways now to the Mass residents! Can you guys recommend the best place to go for my paramedic cert? I saw that one school offered a paramedic associates degree? lolwhat? They also offered a paramedic cert. Honestly I assume there is no difference? Their scope of practice/pay would be the same right? I always thought there was only paramedic certs. Seems kind of like a scam to me although idk what I am talking about. Anyways what do you guys think is a best school to attend?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Why is an Associates Degree a scam? I'd go for a degree if you have the opportunity.

Yes I have been working all the way through medic school. Some schools require experience some don't.

These questions have been answered multiple times...

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Why is an Associates Degree a scam?

Because, who wants the medical "professional" working on you to have any real education? 6 month medic mill and a EMT-P Course Completion Record is you need to commit your first malpractice.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
The AS in Applied Science (the paramedic associate degree) is a good start for paramedic training. The minimal really should be a bachelor degree, but the AS is a good first step.

OP
OP
Z

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Why is an Associates Degree a scam? I'd go for a degree if you have the opportunity.

Yes I have been working all the way through medic school. Some schools require experience some don't.

These questions have been answered multiple times...

Because I have never heard of there being a degree for it. I am not against it so idk why you guys are freaking out like I am. I would obviously prefer a degree over a cert. However wouldn't the degree = same scope of practice/pay? Do you medics have the paramedic degree or a cert for it?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Because I have never heard of there being a degree for it. I am not against it so idk why you guys are freaking out like I am. I would obviously prefer a degree over a cert. However wouldn't the degree = same scope of practice/pay? Do you medics have the paramedic degree or a cert for it?

You've never heard of the paramedic associate degree program? That's odd. How many paramedic programs have you heard of?

OP
OP
Z

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
You've never heard of the paramedic associate degree program? That's odd. How many paramedic programs have you heard of?

Gonna be hones close to nothing. I haven't really looked into it. When I looked into one school that I heard offered a paramedic program is when I first saw the degree and was like O.O? Was always lead to believe it was just a cert program that took 1-2 years depending where you attended.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Gonna be hones close to nothing. I haven't really looked into it. When I looked into one school that I heard offered a paramedic program is when I first saw the degree and was like O.O? Was always lead to believe it was just a cert program that took 1-2 years depending where you attended.

There ya go. There is a big push for make all paramedic programs an Associate degree program. They include other college courses, like biology, anatomy & physiology, psychology. It makes a paramedic more professional.

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
The sad truth is that you are likely to get the same pay if you have a degree or just a certification.

Research the school you are considering. There are 3 programs within an hour’s drive where I live. 1 degree program and 2 certificate programs. Both certificate programs have better reputations for streeting quality medics than the degree program that offers an AS. Which is unfortunate.

Get a quality education for your future patient’s sake. When you decide to become a healthcare professional, you commit to a live time of learning.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If you decide to go for the cert do yourself a favor and do college level A&P, microbiology and a pathos class. It will make Medic school so much easier if you know and understand those subjects.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
if you decide to go for the cert do yourself a favor and do college level a&p, microbiology and a pathos class. It will make medic school so much easier if you know and understand those subjects.

+1,000,000

medickat

Forum Crew Member
I'm currently in the medic program at Quinsigamond CC in Worcester. I'd have to say that so far, everything is great. I'm learning tons, the instructors are fantastic and really take the time to work with you and care about your success.
It's a 3 semester program and they do offer an Associates Degree (which means taking additional classes, mostly Gen Ed stuff)

duncklee5

Forum Probie
Thanks for defining all questions here related to paramedic school,like your description so much the way you define everything is amazing and all your points sounds very nice.