Question Epi pen

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Just doesn't seem like useful information. IIRC, the epipens say on the side that not all of the medication will be injected, so the EMT just has to trust that their epipen worked correctly and gave the 0.3mg that it was supposed to.

Even if you had a paranoid EMT that believed the first pen didn't work and gave a second, thats still only 0.6mg of Epi, whereas our medic protocol calls for 0.5mg, so I don't think you are putting the patient in extreme danger either way. There are no contraindications for epinephrine in the case of acute severe anaphylaxis :)

As you can't visualize the epi, I don't think anyone would be able to quantify the residual amount. The pen would feel the same in your hand. If you can hear the epi by holding it to your ear and shaking it it would sound the same.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I am using the website www.emt-national-training.com to prepare for my NREMT test coming up. One of the questions was a scenario where the partner you have is using an Epi pen for the first time. After he uses it he asks you why there’s some still left in the pen. Then you tell him how much Epi is actually injected which is the question. Now I chose the answer which says 80-90% of the Epi is actually injected but it said the correct answer is only 10-20% is actually injected. Now am I really wrong here or is the question messed up? The rationale is Very little of the adrenaline actually leaves the auto injector approximately 80-90% stays IN the injector.

While there may be some silly questions, this site is a good preparation tool for the registry. I used it and I passed. It also gives rationale behind every answer.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
While there may be some silly questions, this site is a good preparation tool for the registry. I used it and I passed. It also gives rationale behind every answer.

Do you think you would not have passed, had you not used this site?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
as pre-hospital providers it is your responsibility to know specifics on common tools used by the public as to attempt first aide so in turn you can appropriately identify the pt status...:D

Id rather rely on my assessment of the patient and decide if they do or do not need epi. That's just me.

Wild_Weasel

Forum Crew Member
I have also started using emt-national-training as part of my review in preparation for the NREMT-B exam, and stumbled over the same question. I have noticed that many of the questions/answers are not in the textbook we used in class, Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured, Ninth Edition. Digging around in the book and other sources looking for answers to questions I got wrong only serves to increase the depth of my knowledge and understanding, as I see it. Also, using this site made it clear that I needed to thoroughly review my NR Skill Sheets and CPR Training. While not stand alone I recommend this site as an adjunct to preparation for the NREMT exam.

Cheers,
W-W

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I have also started using emt-national-training as part of my review in preparation for the NREMT-B exam, and stumbled over the same question. I have noticed that many of the questions/answers are not in the textbook we used in class, Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured, Ninth Edition. Digging around in the book and other sources looking for answers to questions I got wrong only serves to increase the depth of my knowledge and understanding, as I see it. Also, using this site made it clear that I needed to thoroughly review my NR Skill Sheets and CPR Training. While not stand alone I recommend this site as an adjunct to preparation for the NREMT exam.

Cheers,
W-W

How can you recognize this site as good prep for the NREMT if you have not taken the NREMT?

If you like going on wild goose chases for (ultimately) useless information that will most likely not be on the test, than this is the site for you.

Last edited by a moderator: