Question about EMT-B

patrick239

Forum Probie
I have been reading these forums for several months now and I have some questions to you veterans of EMS out there. Please don't take this as an attack or anything like it. I just have questions and would like some opinions, nothing more than that.

I have seen numerous jabs taken at the EMT-B education and training in these forums. I can understand those of you with higher training and more experience can be frustrated with what seems basic to you.

However, what I am wondering is...

What do you think the minimum educational requirements should be to obtain an EMT-B license?

What do you think the licensing testing should reflect for someone who is entering the field as an EMT-B? (I know it is different everywhere, just asking for opinions)

I hope to hear from some of you.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Please don't take this as an attack or anything like it.

Meh, I've always felt that you shouldn't have an opinion or view that you couldn't defend. So, in that mind, I don't find questions like this as any sort of attack. What better way to sharpen and refine your views but through discussion and debate?

What do you think the minimum educational requirements should be to obtain an EMT-B license?
Since the EMT-B is currently considered to be the entry level to the field and the minimum level to be incharge of patient care, the minimum educational requirment should be an assoicates degree. The current educational requirment is fine for people operating in a first responding/first aid role though, but not as a primary provider.

What do you think the licensing testing should reflect for someone who is entering the field as an EMT-B? (I know it is different everywhere, just asking for opinions)

Licensing exams should reflect that the person understands A/P, physical diagonsis (physical exam), pharm (as appropriate to the field), skills (as appropriate to the field), and general science concepts that makes up the foundation of prehosptial patient care.

OP
OP
P

patrick239

Forum Probie
In the program I am in I will have the associates degree once I complete the paramedic school (and EMT-B, obviously) and 2 anatomy and physiology classes(along with the general ed requirements; chemistry, biology, math, english comp., etc.).
So after I complete this I would be eligible for the EMT-B testing?(hypothetically)

Would you then propose that being eligible for the EMT-P would require a bachelor's degree?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, if the entry level for EMS is an associates degree, I'd hope that the entry level would be able to do more than O2, call for paramedics, and rapid transport (yea, yea, Basics in most places have oral glucose and AEDs too).

Besides that, if we must have tiered levels (which is not necessarily a good thing) for the primary providers, I'd rather have the bulk of the education required for the entry level with a smaller commitment to go from the entry level to the intermediate/advance level than have a small time commitment for the entry level and a large commitment to go to the intermediate/advanced level. My understanding from talking to people on other forums is that this is how some of the Canadian systems are set up (primary care paramedic[PCP] is 2 years and something analagous to an intermediate, where as an advanced care paramedic requires a year additional education past PCP, and then some areas also have critical care paramedics, but those are mostly for CCTs/HEMS).

Remember, you can't consider problems and complications that you have never heard of, hence it makes more sense to require more education to go from a lay provider (US example: certified first responder/no training) to entry level (EMT-B) than it is to go from entry level to advanced (paramedic).

OP
OP
P

patrick239

Forum Probie
I understand what you mean. As a new student, I am just trying to learn. It will be interesting to see what types of opinions I form as I go along. I am not yet sure if I am going to pursue first responder career or an EMS career. Right now, I am leaning EMS b/c I think there are many different directions/opportunities this career path can lead to, whether it is higher education or even staying in an EMS system. I will just have to see where I can get my foot in the door...

Thanks for the feedback.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh, and to clarify my second post, HEMS is helicopter EMS and CCT stands for critical care transport (sick patients going from one hospital to another).

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

If removed to emergency medical first responder as it should be, then anyone with an interest could take it without any prerequisites. But recognized as a first response training only, and not reflected as a health care profession or any part of Paramedic education. With this they could no longer work upon an EMS unit to be the sole patient provider, without justification statement (rural/frontier setting as deemed by the government population ratings).

If used for patient care as it is now, preEMS degree first year of anatomy & physiology, college algebra, psychology, microbiology, English Composition I & II, as all other health care professionals use for entry requirements.

What do you think the licensing testing should reflect for someone who is entering the field as an EMT-B? (I know it is different everywhere, just asking for opinions).

Again if it was for a first responder only, just as it is currently now from the NREMT now. If changed to preEMS, then increase their knowledge and skills and allow them to establish IV's, Combitubes, etc. and reflect that upon the written & practical portion of the testing.

R/r 911

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
The current 110+ hours required for the class aren't nearly enough. The clinical hours are a freaking joke, as with the medic classes. The basic requirements should be bumped up to current medic hours. EMS should be an apprenticeship. I'm sure Rid would agree that the best medics have strong basic skills just as the best nurses have strong LPN skills. You get that by having a lot of hands on experience while being taught.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
P

patrick239

Forum Probie
But recognized as a first response training only, and not reflected as a health care profession or any part of Paramedic education.

So you are saying paramedic training would then be the standard for anyone entering an EMS career? associates?

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
My opinion:

EMT-Bs should be educated to an AA degree-level
EMT-Ps should be educated to a BA/BA degree-level

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
My opinion:

That'll be the day.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No matter if it is AS or BS both will have two years of EMS education, just like ADN and BSN is in nursing. One does not enter the real nursing portion until the sophomore year. Although, the BS will allow more into educational and administrative and touch upon research.

If the EMT included the basic pre-req.'s then yes, it could be one year...

Don't laugh about requiring degree... I believe it will be mandatory (A.S. P-med level) within four years. Some states already mandates such...

R/r 911

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
My opinion:

Sorry, meant to say "BA/BS degree"...