Quad bike (ATV) injuries and deaths

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
I was reading this news article with regards to a coroner's report about a death resulting from a man being catapulted from a quad bike.. article as attached.....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/4526954/Coroner-demands-quad-bike-changes

He is asking for changes to be made that all those that use this form of transport, wear helmets and the vehicle have rollbars and lap safety belts applied.

In New Zealand we have a lot of callouts to this sort of MVC, as quad bikes (ATV) are the prefered form of transport for the farming community.
Also, with the terrain we have here, it is a very much loved pastime and sport for many.
I've been to one accident involving a quad bike. A young girl was thrown from the bike ridden by her father, resulting in a fractured skull.
Are there any rules regarding this form of transport were you are?
Have you attended many callouts to ATV incidents and what were the results, ie rollover,hitting a stable object, person not use to riding them, etc?
Do you agree with the Coroner, that there needs to be more safety features while riding a Quad bike?
I agree that helmets should be a must with all form of bikes, motor or push bike.
It is illegal to ride a push bike without a helmet here, but not a quad.
I'm still not 100% sure if you have to wear a helmet on a trike (3 wheeler motorbike 'Easy Rider' ;)).
I can't see the makers of Quad bikes, adding rollbars or lap belts happily and it would push up the cost of the bike.

What are your thought's and ideas about how to limit injury and death from this form of vehicle?
Also you'd have snow mobiles over there as well, what safety laws are there with regard to riding them?

Enjoynz

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
An ATV is possibly one of the few vehicles that I would probably not want to put a seatbelt on. I can imagine in a good number of ATV accidents, the riders being thrown clear is probably better for them in the end. If you were going to require seatbelts, however, you would have to require rollover protection, or you're going to end up getting crushed under the ATV if it flips. Probably just better to leave them like they are now and let people take the risks they want to take. ATVs don't generally endanger anyone but the rider's life, so its not really anyone's place to tell people how to use them.

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
An ATV is possibly one of the few vehicles that I would probably not want to put a seatbelt on. I can imagine in a good number of ATV accidents, the riders being thrown clear is probably better for them in the end. If you were going to require seatbelts, however, you would have to require rollover protection, or you're going to end up getting crushed under the ATV if it flips. Probably just better to leave them like they are now and let people take the risks they want to take. ATVs don't generally endanger anyone but the rider's life, so its not really anyone's place to tell people how to use them.
Well put, Ill just add in many cases, "you can't fix stupid". Other than that leave them the way they are, Ive ridden quads from little 125s all the way to utility or full race built450s etc, Done some crazy things but, im still here and never been hurt, Its all about taking appropriate safety measures and riding in your comfort zone. I personally own a high powered motorcycle, but just because its fast doesnt mean i get on the throttle every time i ride it, So please guys ride responsibly!!!!!

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Rollbars would be a huge safety addition on quads. I'd love to see them but I'm sure avid riders wouldn't. The other big injury seen in this area results from people riding mostly snowmobiles, but also quads, through vineyards... In that particular case helmets do help some. IMHO, you can't fix poor judgement by the operator which often leads to incidents.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
An ATV is possibly one of the few vehicles that I would probably not want to put a seatbelt on. I can imagine in a good number of ATV accidents, the riders being thrown clear is probably better for them in the end. If you were going to require seatbelts, however, you would have to require rollover protection, or you're going to end up getting crushed under the ATV if it flips.

I agree...if there was to be such measures as a lap belt...there would have to be a roll cage as well.

Many of the incidents with quads here, usually involve rollovers. The farmers seem to misjudge a slope or are looking at stock and not where they are driving and the quad tips, usually crushing them in the process.

Enjoynz

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been to lots of OHV crashes(Off Highway Vehicle,ATVs/snowmobiles etc). Some were minor injuries and some not. Helmets are mandatory now. However if you don't wear a good one and wear it properly it won't do much good. Like the 22m who hit a tree with his head the other night. He wasn't wearing his helmet when he was found. Last I heard he was critical and maybe just an organ doner.
I first drove a snowmobile in the 60's as a kid. Helmets were not req'd then but I always wore one. In the 80's I sold and rode both 3 and 4 wheeled atvs. At some point I've crashed everything I've driven. Mostly by being stupid.
Helmets should be mandatory but seat belts and roll cages on sleds and atvs are not practical. Cars have steel roofs and seatbelts but people still crash them. Usually by doing stupid things, too fast, drunk etc. As was said "You can't fix stupid". If they are driven responsibly as they were meant to be they are safe.
A friend of mine still has an old 3 wheeler. We take it to the camp all the time. Lots of hills, rocks and bogs. We don't have a problem, but we are driving them properly. I guess now we are a little older and wiser.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Why not just ban them as a recreation vehicle (relegate them simply to use in SAR and other remote situations where the need for speed is well-defined)? It reduces the morbidity and mortality associated with them and also does away with the destruction of wilderness areas and noise pollution associated with them. Kill multiple birds with the same stone. If they want to keep them around, if you ride one you should automatically be an organ donor.

reaper

Working Bum
Why not just ban them as a recreation vehicle (relegate them simply to use in SAR and other remote situations where the need for speed is well-defined)? It reduces the morbidity and mortality associated with them and also does away with the destruction of wilderness areas and noise pollution associated with them. Kill multiple birds with the same stone. If they want to keep them around, if you ride one you should automatically be an organ donor.

Yes, let's ban those killer cars too. They cause way more injuries, then any other form of transportation.:rolleyes:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
We get a bunch of quadbike accidents up here on the beaches (usually going up sand dunes or vs driftwood, tree stumps and logs). They are also fairly common on the rural outskirts of Auckland Metro eg Pukekohe, Waiuku, Warkworth, Silverdale etc

Brown thinks its more a case of people trying to go up/down gradients that are too steep or roaring along the beach playing silly buggers and hitting drift wood and getting thrown off.

Oh and can you believe Warkworth has an Intensive Care Paramedic now, what is the world comimg to! :D

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, let's ban those killer cars too. They cause way more injuries, then any other form of transportation.:rolleyes:

If you want to start getting into a measuring contest over injury statistics, remember, you're talking to someone who has been supplementing his clinical work with a side job in injury prevention research. Cars may kill more people in crude numbers but when you look at the number of fatalities per operational hour or other measures of exposure, there is a distinctly higher risk associated with ATVs. Also, the rate of fatal injury in the terms of a function of the number of injuries (X percentage of those injured die in ATV vs. versus those in car accidents) and the severity of injury as well offset your snide and cynical view of this matter. To me, it seems like you have a bias clouding your judgment (conformation bias perhaps?) or you are just ignorant of the statistics involved here.

I mean sure...it's a great idea to put some hilljack or dumbass teenager out on an unstable vehicle with no occupant protection, no helmet on unstable terrain especially given the high frequency of alcohol use associated with the operation of ATVs. That is if you're not troubled by the burden these (often uninsured) patients place on our society, are making money off of the sale or operation of these vehicles and/or are working in the organ and tissue procurement industry.

reaper

Working Bum
If you want to start getting into a measuring contest over injury statistics, remember, you're talking to someone who has been supplementing his clinical work with a side job in injury prevention research. Cars may kill more people in crude numbers but when you look at the number of fatalities per operational hour or other measures of exposure, there is a distinctly higher risk associated with ATVs. Also, the rate of fatal injury in the terms of a function of the number of injuries (X percentage of those injured die in ATV vs. versus those in car accidents) and the severity of injury as well offset your snide and cynical view of this matter. To me, it seems like you have a bias clouding your judgment (conformation bias perhaps?) or you are just ignorant of the statistics involved here.

I mean sure...it's a great idea to put some hilljack or dumbass teenager out on an unstable vehicle with no occupant protection, no helmet on unstable terrain especially given the high frequency of alcohol use associated with the operation of ATVs. That is if you're not troubled by the burden these (often uninsured) patients place on our society, are making money off of the sale or operation of these vehicles and/or are working in the organ and tissue procurement industry.

Yes, I was not even looking at statistics. That comment was all sarcasm.

We have to draw the line with banning everything in sight. There will always be stupid people using any product that can harm you. The vast majority of ATV riders that use them for fun or sport, do take precautions. They wear helmets and they do not drink. They ride to enjoy. Yes, accidents happen. Same as they will with anything. Should street bikes be banned. I can guess that the death and injury rate is about the same, or may be even higher.

Banning things is not the answer. Proper education and safety courses will help more. I do agree with a helmet requirement. But seatbelts would cause more injury and a rollbar would make them useless.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief

At what percentage of injury and/or severity per hour of use do you draw the line before we ban the use of something? Be it cars, ATVs, boats, guns etc.
Years ago when I got my drivers license I knew drinking and driving was not a safe thing to do. Here it is 36 years later and we still have drinking drivers despite all the ads, drivers education etc. For some people "Stupid is as stupid does". We can't save them all from themselves.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Here is a news Editorial article written today re the ongoing argument with safety issues of quads (ATV).

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10698047

From the numbers of recorded incidents of those using this mode of transport for farm workers.
It is indeed a concern given there is a total lack of responability with not wearing helmets or understand how to use the quad correctly.

The main issue here is not so much the joyrides of quads,although they also make for a large number of the statistics, but those using them as a work vehicle.
In New Zealand up until the three wheeler bike was brought here, trail motor bikes were the main form of transport. Now they have been replaced with the quads.
I guess that there is only so much you can put on your back, while riding a trail bike.
The farm quads here a loaded to the hilt with things like fencing gear, etc and normally including a couple of farm dogs.
Which of course would add to the weight and stability of the vehicle.

If you are out on a farm, away from the sight of the law. What is stopping you from not wearing a helmet?
As a farm is a work place environment, there are laws as far as Health and Safety is concerned, NZ Government is pretty strict on these issues.
Given that because of our Health system...the tax payer is the one that foot's the medical bills for those injuried in a quad accident.

I can't see the quad's being banned as than answer.
Knowing the Kiwi farmer well, they'd just go out and weld up a home made quad, using a motor-mower engine or something-_-.

What if you had to be licensed to ride a quad? Having to take a defensive driving course designed for quad safety. Policing it would be a huge undertaking I would imagine.
Although it would mean that the educational side of this machine would be understood by all that use one.
The money the Government got from the license could go into the Health side of rehab for injuries:).Just a thought.lol!
Do you think being licensed to drive a quad bike would reduce the injury and death statistics?

I'm not sure what the laws are in the States, but here in NZ, farmer's kids from a very early age tend to go out into the paddocks (fields) and learn to drive whatever vehicle they please.
They do this without first having obtained a Learners license, because it is private property and not on a public road.

Enjoynz

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Did an article on a girl for my HS paper a few years ago. She had an ATV crash while wearing an admittedly very poorly-fitting helmet. She was flown out from the scene and according to her report of her incident was very touch-and-go medically and was in a coma for weeks.

It's a tricky situation. I think legislation can only go so far. Laws requiring helmet usage would be very difficult to enforce. Licensure may be helpful, but I totally don't agree with banning them.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief

Burden on your society? I thought people who couldn't pay for healthcare just got thrown into some sort of industrial meat grinder to make fertilizer for republican's gardens :p

What is the extent of the states financial involvement if they have no money?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Burden on your society? I thought people who couldn't pay for healthcare just got thrown into some sort of industrial meat grinder to make fertilizer for republican's gardens

Shhh....the Tea Party doesn't want you to know about that they are the ones behind Soylent Green! LMAO

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
What is the extent of the states financial involvement if they have no money?

Pretty hefty. Either the hospitals eat the cost or these folks wind up on some form of government insurance (Medicaid, etc....don't know the specifics, don't honestly care).

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Pretty hefty. Either the hospitals eat the cost or these folks wind up on some form of government insurance (Medicaid, etc....don't know the specifics, don't honestly care).

Ah then I guess there is a pretty strong interest in preventing that cost.

People getting punched outside night clubs then being admitted to the veggie patch are the "news" stories in vogue here at the moment. Its amazing how the only people who ever get punched are "Gentle young men, who are everybody's friend, wouldn't hurt a fly and who had a bright future". Mysteriously, the mouthy, violent, muscle clad thugs that time-share neurons avoid injury despite populating King St at >10^5 Organisms.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Melclin....I love your brand of Aussie sarcasm. If I can get my butt invited to speak at a conference down there, we really need to have a couple of beers or something. LOL

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
I think it was last week a guy was ridding an atv and he hit one of those telephone pole support cables, bare body his bike went under it. Needless to say it broke his rib cage an sent the bones into his internal organs. The guy died at the hospital. i didn't go on the call but i went to the hospital on another call a couple hours later and saw the bloody back board.

Last edited by a moderator: