Q's regarding certification/recert in CA, specifically Santa Barbara

rybosnacks

Forum Ride Along
I couldn't get through to my local EMS agency by phone to have some questions answered, so maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking to get my initial certification for Santa Barbara county, but I may be getting ahead of myself.

-My first question is, do you apply for initial certification AFTER receiving a job offer from an ems agency or before, like can you only get a CA state license after you have been hired?

-Second, is there seperate continuing education requirements for NREMT and CA? I understand that the NR requires an additional 48, but can I use the 24 hour refresher course for both? The FAQ from my county website reads as:
"Q: What are the recertification requirements for an EMT?

Answer: In order to re-certify in Santa Barbara County an EMT must have a current EMT Certification. S/he must have taken 24 hours of continuing education or a 24-hour refresher course and have passed a state approved skills exam (state verification of skills form) within the past two years. Course completion certifications for continuing education credit must have an EMT provider number."

-Does that also mean that within the next two years I have to go track down another practical exam? What is this skills exam they are talking about? Is this a written test? My instructor never mentioned any of that. Granted, the course was in ventura county, but I'm not sure that really makes a difference considering the licensing is done by the state.

Any CA emts out there want to clear this up for me?

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
You need to get your certification BEFORE you apply for a job. Now that you have your national registry card, take that to your county EMS authority and they will issue you a county card. They may or may not have their own test. Most counties don't for EMT's. Last time I checked, the state doesn't issue licenses to EMT's, however your county EMT card is good statewide.

As far as the CE requirements, the answer is yes and no. The state / county EMSA will accept a national registry refresher course hours towards your 24 hour requirement. However, the NREMT is VERY picky on CE's and won't accept most of the courses that the state / county does.

You do no have to re-take any tests as long as you keep up on your CE requirements. The skills verification is super easy. You basically find a preceptor who is accredited by the county to proctor your skills verification. You have a check-off sheet with all of the skills. You demonstrate the skills to the proctor and they sign you off. That's it.

OP
OP
rybosnacks

rybosnacks

Forum Ride Along
On my ems personnel application there are a few lines that ask for my primary and secondary ems employers, as well as hire dates. Is that for those who are recertifying? The application covers initial as well as recert applicants. I should just leave those blank right? Was your application like that?

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, I would either leave them blank or mark n/a.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

GEORGEL5

Forum Probie
Is the recertification skills verification easier to pass than the first time we had to do it for certification?