Qa/QI

EMS Patient Care Advocate

Forum Lieutenant
I have started as QA/QI officer in one of my services. I have no real training spacific to QA/QI. Does anyone have ref. material or suggestions? I am asking about things beyong following the "protocol" book, and hitting QA/QI state markers.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
hitting QA/QI state markers

Which are what exactly? QA/QI was my job for quite a while and it honestly isn't nearly as mysterious a process as people make it out to be. Identify what you want to measure it, measure it and then figure out how to move the data for the next cycle in a positive direction (new gear, remedial training, etc). Lather, rinse, repeat.

I have no real training spacific to QA/QI

You really don't need it. I was hired to do it straight out of EMS training (which is to say straight out of high school).

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Agree with USAF. And if you want to read about QA/QI, I really like the Medical Priority Dispatch EMD manual. I have designed 2 QA systems (one in EMS, on in a more customer-service only sort of field) using their thought processes. They really do have a proven system that works in a variety of systems.

OP
OP
E

Forum Lieutenant
Thank You, I will spend some time obtaining and reviewing your suggestions.
Our region request QA/QI 12lead review sheets(hospital and service), any airway procedures-BLS and up, and I think there is one other one currently. These change from time to time to reflect the states data collection. I wanted to see what ideas there were out there that I wasnt thinking of. Thank you agaain for your time.

OP
OP
E

Forum Lieutenant
whats your background and experience?

This is the most applicable guide to the big picture I've read in regards to EMS
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/ems/leaderguide/

About 11 years EMS if you don’t count lifeguarding and outdoor emergency care (OEC)  Climbed the ranks, EMTB, EMT-I, EMT-P. Some EMT and CEH teaching experience. Outdoor Emergency Care instructor. 12 years Ski patrol. ER Tech in states level 1 trauma center. Work in very rural systems 15-30 min transport time to small hospital, nearest Trauma center or Cardiac Cath is about 2 hours by ground. I’m sure there is more but it all sounds so insignificant if the face of all the experience and training you all have. I am only answering your question and not intentionally trying to boast anything.
I look forward to checking out your ref. Thank you

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I wanted to see what ideas there were out there that I wasnt thinking of.

The QA/QI triggers that I remember (this was 10 years ago remember):
-Cardiac arrest
-Chest pain
-Abnormal cardiac rhythm (excluding sinus tachycardia)
-Abdominal pain
-Altered mental status (deviation from patient's normal)
-Suspected CVA
-Any case where pain meds were given
-Field death
-Death within 24 hours of hospital admission
-Any case flagged by the ED staff or the EMS crew (to allow questions/concerned to be addressed)
-Intubation or airway intervention beyond OPA/NPA
-Failed airway
-Shock
-Aeromedical evacuation (crew was put on paid leave until case was reviewed)
-Respiratory difficulty requiring more than one dose of albuterol
-CPAP use
-Burns >10% of the BSA or involving critical areas of the body (face, hands, airway, genitalia, etc)

Those are the ones I can think of....I know there were more but I just woke up.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

Forum Lieutenant
The QA/QI triggers that I remember (this was 10 years ago remember):
-Cardiac arrest
-Chest pain
-Abnormal cardiac rhythm (excluding sinus tachycardia)
-Abdominal pain
-Altered mental status (deviation from patient's normal)
-Suspected CVA
-Any case where pain meds were given
-Field death
-Death within 24 hours of hospital admission
-Any case flagged by the ED staff or the EMS crew (to allow questions/concerned to be addressed)
-Intubation or airway intervention beyond OPA/NPA
-Failed airway
-Shock
-Aeromedical evacuation (crew was put on paid leave until case was reviewed)
-Respiratory difficulty requiring more than one dose of albuterol
-CPAP use
-Burns >10% of the BSA or involving critical areas of the body (face, hands, airway, genitalia, etc)

Those are the ones I can think of....I know there were more but I just woke up.

Thank you that is a great list!