Pt with urine problem

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
So here's a photograph of the MDT in the paramedic unit I was riding last night...

attachment.php

Probably the weirdest call I've been on yet, although I'm still somewhat new at this.

Attachments

• IMG_8494small.jpg
    IMG_8494small.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 491

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
That was at 4:54 in the morning? I'd be pissed. No pun intended.

(ok, maybe just a little...)

Sent from my iPhone.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I don't see anything wrong with that. I just hope they didn't have you respond l&s. Hopefully you have a way to help him avoid needing to activate emergency services for this again though

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We used to have a quad who was always pissing off her home health nurses and would be home alone at night and call us to empty her foley.

She ended up dying because she was left alone in the house and they didn't leave the phone nearby. It was really sad.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Once again it just goes to show how bad it sucks to get old :(

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Got a call from some elderly lady, can't remember the time, but it was in the afternoon. She was bed-ridden and had called out to someone in the house and didn't get a reply. She was scared that she was all alone and called 9-1-1. Call came out as an unknown problem, we responded and when knocked on the door was met by all sorts of people, including care taker.

She was older, scared that she was alone, as no one was near by. We assured that she was okay and went back to the station.

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't see anything wrong with that. I just hope they didn't have you respond l&s. Hopefully you have a way to help him avoid needing to activate emergency services for this again though

Our call takers & dispatchers are pretty good, in my opinion. When they determine it's a true "patient assist" call, no emergency services needed, we're dispatched cold.

We did talk to the patient for a few minutes and realized he probably will, and does, need help beyond just this one instance. We have a process for that, as I suspect many other EMS agencies do. We have a "human services" form that we will out and pass up the chain and social services gets involved and makes a visit and sees what's going on, and determines what, if any, help can be provided. I'm sure it's not a perfect system but it's better than nothing, I suppose. I don't have any experience with this particular aspect of operations myself yet.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
We have a regular in our county who calls when his power-wheelchair battery dies and he wants it plugged in...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm all for customer service, but this is certainly not the type of call a paramedic unit should be dispatched on.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Why not? I'd say not being able to dispose of your urine in a safe manner is a pretty big deal. A paramedic should have the aptitude to see that there is an issue here that needs long term intervention and activate the appropriate services.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why not? I'd say not being able to dispose of your urine in a safe manner is a pretty big deal. A paramedic should have the aptitude to see that there is an issue here that needs long term intervention and activate the appropriate services.

Police can't? Public health nurses can't? APA can't?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I might not like getting up early, but if I'd gotten called out for that, I think I'd consider the circumstances, give the guy a good once-over, review his meds with him, and ask him if he's getting assistance service of some sort other than via 911. It very well could be that those extra 5 or 10 minutes I spend with him may result in a better outcome for him and I'm still available for calls. Heck, I might even just find a way to make occasional drop-in visits or see if I can make arrangements for someone to drop in on him every now and then. Who knows, perhaps that's a way to pick up a loyal customer... ;)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I might not like getting up early, but if I'd gotten called out for that, I think I'd consider the circumstances, give the guy a good once-over, review his meds with him, and ask him if he's getting assistance service of some sort other than via 911. It very well could be that those extra 5 or 10 minutes I spend with him may result in a better outcome for him and I'm still available for calls. Heck, I might even just find a way to make occasional drop-in visits or see if I can make arrangements for someone to drop in on him every now and then. Who knows, perhaps that's a way to pick up a loyal customer... ;)

That's precisely what Community Paramedics / Advanced Practice Paramedics are for.

But not 911.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That's precisely what Community Paramedics / Advanced Practice Paramedics are for.

But not 911.

What are you not grasping when people tell you that those are rare, the unicorn, and not the norm?

For areas that dont have those, by default it is 911

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
What are you not grasping when people tell you that those are rare, the unicorn, and not the norm?

For areas that dont have those, by default it is 911

And what are you not grasping by "improper use of 911"?

Never said resources shouldn't be used for those. But to argue that it's proper to call 911 for that is foolish and just perpetuating the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd go in radio service, roll back the call number, and go assist the poor guy. While on scene, I'd take a minute to determine where the break down in care is. Is this a temporary thing? Does he need to go to a nursing home? Before leaving I would see if he'd be ok with me following up with a family member during the daylight hours to see about getting him the assistance he needs.

Sasha

Forum Chief
And what are you not grasping by "improper use of 911"?

Never said resources shouldn't be used for those. But to argue that it's proper to call 911 for that is foolish and just perpetuating the problem.

What other resources that are universally available are you recommending then?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

But not 911.
While that may be an improper use of 911 (I agree, actually), until "we" step up and make CP/AAP Paramedics the gold-standard for non-emergency house calls, the rest of us should step up and take an extra couple minutes, remind the person about proper use of 911, and take a quick check of the person's situation so that "we" don't have to come out every shift to do a public assist. If we don't, we're only perpetuating the idea in the public mind that 911 is the answer to everything. I don't think it would hurt the Paramedics on this forum to check around their local service areas and get contact info for as many public health and assistance services as can be found... Print off a few copies and carry them with you. Hand them out prn.

I mean, really, you might just find that one day, someone calls 911 because they can't get something and because you gave them contact info, or YOU took 30 seconds or a minute to call the right service, someone else does follow-up and gets that person the help that's needed. Suddenly you're not going out on "bogus" 911 calls to that person's place anymore.

I mean, really, step up! YOU might just show your boss that you're right for that expanded role...

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
While it is improper for him to call 911 is this instance, I suppose the attending crew should

a) empty the bottle
b) find out about his social circumstances and try to refer him to community support services
c) educate him about what 911 is for and give him alternatives.