Pt Assessment help

jonathan carreto

Forum Probie
Hello all. Any keys or advice on MASTERING your pt assessment? Is there any resources that may help with assessments thanks.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Bates is probably overkill for a Basic...but the pocket version....

There is always the old practice, practice, practice.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Bates is probably overkill for a Basic...but the pocket version....

There is always the old practice, practice, practice.

Scope of practice doesn't limit the questions asked or the exam done (for the most part). No one is going to tell an EMT that they were working out of their scope because they heard a pericardial rub. Besides, if he moves past being an EMT, then Bates becomes less overkill.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I meant practice as in repitition not scope.

I am all for advancing ones education, but without understanding the underlying pathophysiology I don't see the utility in performing a complete history and physical exam on your average BLS patient. Especially when the OP is struggling with a basic medical assessment.

But then again he did ask for a resource, and Bates is THE resource. Using the hardcover today actually, I have OSCEs on Tuesday.

JPINFV

Gadfly
No, I know that... I'm just trying to say that it's not that big of an overkill. Certainly less of an overkill than all of the people asking about jump bags while still in school.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Mastering the patient assessment can take years. I've been a medic since '05 and am now a resident doc, and I'm still honing my H&P, though I did feel like I plateaued as a medic after a couple years. Realistically, good questioning will provide the most bang for your buck.

OP
OP
jonathan carreto

jonathan carreto

Forum Probie
Thanks everybody. I'm in medic school right now. And just found out how much I don't know and that I need to work on my assessments most. I agree with beano practice practice practice.. And medicsb I agree thanks.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Nuts to Bates.

Cope's Abdomen is pretty rad and applicable though...