Professionalism - Who's Job Is It Anyway?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
This is a spin off from another thread. I hear a lot of talk about the slovenly appearance of some of the EMS responders out there. Which made me ponder the question. Who's responsibility is it to set a standard for appearance?

For those who work within an agency, often the agency has a dress code or uniform. But, how many of us, when we see someone on a scene dressed in the ratty, faded T-shirt or Polo will say something? Do we just ignore it on scene and gossip about it to our co-workers back in the station?

I'm not saying that we do dress inspections before allowing people access to an emergency scene, but we can be a bit more vocal with our disapproval. I have used the comments... "Wow, nice of you to dress up for this!" or "Hey, how old is that T-shirt? I think I got kids younger than that!" I had one volunteer show up in what I felt was an inappropriate T-shirt and I made him get a sweatshirt out of the station to cover it up before we left.

So, do you think, by being more active in our standards setting, we can make a difference? Or, do you think that the slovenly are incorrigable and we ought to just send them to "What Not to Wear" for makeovers?

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm with you BC - I think it will help us to police ourselves. As a newbie on a squad, it is not a good idea to dress someone down for their appearance. The best thing to do is to dress impeccibly myself. For someone with years of credibility on the job, it is perfectly acceptable to address a habitual offender. Do it with tact tho - and privately. No sense letting a coworker "lose face".

PS - good topic - it drives me crazy to see people letting the image of the profession down.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
We have a set dress code here, and our service supplies us with the uniform.
That being the case, we have no reason to turn up untidy to a call.
It is up to us to wash and iron our clothes though, tie long hair back,etc.
If you take pride in your appearance, that also gives the impression you take pride in your job.
That is my feeling on the matter, for what it's worth.

Cheers Enjoynz

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I agree with this to a point however sometimes when you’re on stand-by even for an agency, your pagers going off and it’s dark so you grab what clothes are on the floor and head out the door. I have only had it happen once with a wardrobe malfunction. I accidently grabbed my wife’s shirt instead of my own...I caught a lot for that one. But now I just put my clothes at the foot of my bed so I don't have it happen again. We all know that there are limitations, that we don’t wake up for a call and pick out a professional looking ensemble but we shouldn’t show up in pajama pants and a Skynnard T-shirt either. I think that the image makes a big difference…I mean how comfortable would you feel with some guy or gal working on you or your loved one looking like they just got back from a Monster truck ralley

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
thanks bossy for starting this one, i was thinking about doing it myself......
here's the deal i think if you love what you do you take pride in it........in our emt class, in order to do your ride alongs with als and your clincial in the er, you absoultely have to wear black slacks (not jeans) and a white collared shirt and tennis shoes in good shape, if you look slovenly, then they will send you home no questions asked.....

as far as my job, we wear class b uniforms, badges, patches on each sleeve (a rural metro one and an american flag on the other) black boots that can be shined, and if you really want to get down to it, it's almost paramilitary our apprearance (as far hair, makeup, nails, and jewlery).......but we fit right in with the fd and pd......i think since we all provide ems, we should all fit the part, i personally take pride in my uniform, i worked hard for it!!! and especially coming from a 'high' profile career, people know who you are.....and even more so in a uniform......there are some other companies here in town that allow their employees to wear t-shirts <_< (with company logo of course) and another i saw just the other day, one of the guys on the crew had long shaggy hair (which is fine when you're a local surfer) but totally not okay for being an ems worker....:glare:

now i know in some states, county's and cities things are different if you get to wear a company t shirt as part of ur uniform, great!! but keep the rest of you looking nice, don't wear it sloppy, keep you hair, including facial nice and neat.........etc.

so who's responsible?? it should be the individuals!! i'm sure most of us have worked hard to get to where we are at, we should take pride in that!! B)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Good points to all. Yes, I do inspect my and my partners uniform In fact, I gave my partner an option of ironing his shirt or going home. Sorry, no excuses..

First impressions are lasting, and since most do not know sick em to get em, and assume that all in EMS are Paramedics and anyone that can take a blood pressure is medically trained.

How many troopers do we see that appear ill kept, or disheveled?

As I discussed previously, when this subject came up with educators that it appears that many new members of the profession lack professional ethics, and poor work habits. Of course being professional is much more than a dry cleaned uniform.

Professionalism is a state of mind. Pride of whom and what you are and I do not mean by placing placards on their personally owned vehicles either. It comes within, that you are representing your career and those within it by providing the best care, empathic to others, and basically your peers would be proud of.

Little things like opening doors for others, assisting others, not cursing or using foul language, be respectful, and of course a professional appearance.

Even within the amidst our own peers we need to be aware of our actions. Even little things like wearing uniforms or identifying markers at events such as conventions, meetings. Especially when we (all at the meeting) are involved in EMS. I have not seen nurses wear scrubs to a convention or group meeting (if they had not been on duty) as well how many "RN" stickers does one see on POV's ? ... Yet, they are proud of their profession.

One of the differential as well is promoting education and increasing their roles and status. This means look out for the profession. Attending and promoting our profession as one. Increasing legislative measures, and funding, also monitoring for those that fail to meet such standards and either punishing or removing them from the profession altogether.

There is so much that can describe here and just touch the surface...

R/r 911

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
What really twists my leg is the volunteers that will answer a call, and sho up in sneakers shorts/bathing suit, and a tank top. They have no RIGHT AT ALL providing care to any one like that. Personally I would not let them treate me.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
What really twists my leg is the volunteers that will answer a call, and sho up in sneakers shorts/bathing suit, and a tank top. They have no RIGHT AT ALL providing care to any one like that. Personally I would not let them treate me.
So when that happens, what are you doing to fix the problem? What are you doing to prevent the problem? Volunteers often seem to think that they are entitled to show up looking like that. What will you do/are you doing to change that mentality?

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
So when that happens, what are you doing to fix the problem? What are you doing to prevent the problem? Volunteers often seem to think that they are entitled to show up looking like that. What will you do/are you doing to change that mentality?

Right now nothing, what can I do? Im a FR not an EMT(I ride as a 3rd member, which also means i have no say on anything), which means if I step out of line im gone.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
As a Lt., I'm pretty anal about professionalism. I recognize that I'm one of the few people on command staff that feels comfortable nagging members about their sloppy uniforms, foul language, and inappropriate behavior so I make sure that I take responsibility for that.

If someone's uniform looks like crap I pull them aside and tell them how to fix it. Tuck in your shirt. Pull up your pants. Iron your uniform. Etc, etc. I also try to praise people who have nice looking uniforms especially when they've struggled with keeping a professional, clean uniform in the past.

If someone is using foul language, being loud/obnoxious, or inappropriate, I correct it immediately. A simple "Hey, watch what you're saying," usually works.

A few members also have the bad habit of flicking around knives and lighters when they have nothing to do. That drives me nuts, so I tell them to put it away immediately.

The best way to correct bad behavior and encourage good behavior in the team setting is to praise in public, criticize in private whenever possible. However, I think that issues such as professionalism are best handled by superiors rather than equals unless you're being very careful.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Right now nothing, what can I do? Im a FR not an EMT(I ride as a 3rd member, which also means i have no say on anything), which means if I step out of line im gone.
So asking if there are any dress standards is stepping out of line? Asking about getting t-shirts/shirts for all members to wear on calls is out of line? Bringing up in conversation how our appearance reflects on our service is out of line? Getting other people thinking about that kind of thing is out of line?

You don't need to be confrontational when it comes to things like this, but asking questions, or politely bringing up suggestions and asking what might happen if changes were made isn't wrong.

And if it is considered wrong in your little service, then it's time to move along from that particular whacker squad.

Hastings

Noobie
So asking if there are any dress standards is stepping out of line? Asking about getting t-shirts/shirts for all members to wear on calls is out of line? Bringing up in conversation how our appearance reflects on our service is out of line? Getting other people thinking about that kind of thing is out of line?

You don't need to be confrontational when it comes to things like this, but asking questions, or politely bringing up suggestions and asking what might happen if changes were made isn't wrong.

And if it is considered wrong in your little service, then it's time to move along from that particular whacker squad.

There's a time to question company policy in this context, but no matter how politely you do so, while on probation or as a new hire is not that time. I'm sorry, but I have to agree with him. As much as it may pain him to see co-workers dressing inappropriately, it's not his problem -- rather, it's not his position to deal with it. Yet.

I'm sure it DOES depend on who you're working for, but I can sympathize with the fact that some places may look unfavorably upon those that start questioning company policy the moment they get in the door. And I don't think that necessarily makes them bad services. Questioning is good. But it needs to wait in his case.

Last edited by a moderator:

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I have to agree with lucid on pretty much everything she said there.. well stated.

I personally have come across this issue as of recent. Coming from a job that absolutely demanded a professional appearance. To the one I am in now. Where as a Dispatcher we are not required to wear uniforms, we are running on an office mentality with a business casual appearance.
First day of work after reading this in my brand spanking new employee hand book. I showed up in Black Slacks a long sleeve dress shirt and a tie. To see my peers in jeans and polo's several wearing ball caps. imagine my surprise and the funny looks I got. To this day I still show up in the fore mentioned. If they will not provide me with a uniform then I will adhere to my standards of business casual.

Swearing/foul/ inappropriate language and content. One would think in COMMS with running the risk of hot mic-ing and open air phones you would be on your best behavior..... LMAO not exactly the case.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone working for a service, paid or volunteer, waiting at a base for a call to jump in an ambulance should be wearing a neat, clean respectable uniform. No exceptions.
Anyone who responds from home or work ideally will at least be neat and clean. I understand that responding in this fashion is a bit of come as you are. However a light weight jacket with your services name clearly shown can cover a lot of sins. It also distingushes you as a responder from all the on lookers on scene. If I look out at a sea of people its the ones in bunker gear or a recognizable jacket eg: Brite orange or lime yellow with Fire Dept Responder or similar on it, that I'm going to call on for help. The grease monkey who crawled out from under a dump truck would be the last person I would call on for help.

My 2 cents.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
How the public sees us.........

I could not agree more about acting and dressing as a professional, it does not matter for what service you work for. I would also like to address how we interact with patients. One of the rudest things that happens is when a patient is on the ground and the responders are standing up, arms crossed or hands on their hips. I'm sorry, to me that gives the look of "well we are here, blah, blah, blah"

Maybe some folks are not aware of their body stance, but I will tell you, some folks will definably will comment on how the patient was perceived, including the patient. Food for thought...............

OP
OP
BossyCow

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I think its everyone's responsiblity. Much of social behavior is based on the expectations created by the group. Without obvious disapproval, inappropriate behavior will be perceived as accepted. When we tolerate, accept or even endure a fellow EMS practitioner to show up in dirty, wrinkled, or otherwise slovenly appearance, what message does that send to the new recruit who is watching?

While I understand Bryan's hesitance as a newbie to criticize more senior members, it is possible to ask if a certain member's appearance is acceptable or the norm. This can be done to determine how you will dress based on the appearance of the group. For example, "Wow, I took time to change my shirt before I came. Is it more important to get here faster? Should I not change next time?"

I am an officer within my department so I have the authority to back me up. I have told volunteers to leave a scene when they are not appropriately dressed. I have also developed a signal for what I call the undertaker's face. I often in drills will remind the volunteers that they need to show a demeanor that is respectful of the seriousness of the call in the eyes of the family. You wouldn't be discussing your new car or the awesome fish you just caught in front of the family at a funeral and often an EMS call is of the same nature.

Professionalism is a standard and if a standard is not set, it will never be met

Last edited by a moderator:

Jango

Forum Crew Member

I agree, on my volly dept if you show up in anything less than pants(no shorts) and steel toed boots....you don't get on a truck or go on a medical call, if you show up to the station you dont get credit for showing even if you want to clean/resupply trucks. Looking like a professional is a large part of the job, should you sit at home in uniform? No....not at all, just dress appropriately for the job.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Professionalism is a standard and if a standard is not set, it will never be met

Very well said.

On a side note, at every call we respond to I keep an eye out for sloppy uniforms. Anyone with major uniform problems such as a dirty, wrinkled shirt will either fix the problem or go home.

At every training or meeting I will briefly scan over every member's uniform. If something is amiss I will pull them aside and have them correct the problem.

At our mandatory monthly meeting we perform a comprehensive one-by-one uniform check down to the socks.

Right now we're taking in a class of about 25 probationary members. I am intentionally being a hard-*** about their uniforms and professionalism because I know that if they start out in this organization knowing that there is a high standard they must meet, they will get into the habit of meeting it and are much less likely to have problems farther down the road. They are also more likely to hold each other to a higher standard of professionalism.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain

Thats not how I meant it, ask about dress standars all you want, say somethign to a Senior corp person, and they will throw a hissy fit and have you kicked out.
Getting other people thinking about that kind of thing is out of line?
Yes, if they don't like it once again they complain, cry whine moan, and your gone once again. Theirs no back bone for those of us that ride as a 3rd member. Confrontational isnt the point you could be as polite as you want, most vollies feel you owe them the world and they chould be able to do what they ant when they want and wear what they want.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
A few members also have the bad habit of flicking around knives and lighters when they have nothing to do. That drives me nuts, so I tell them to put it away immediately.

Ive actually just started riding with a couple people who when were on the couch the lighters are getting played with and so on.