Problems getting hired

RookieEmt

Forum Probie
So I screwed up my first EMT screening questionnaire, my fault. Another company I applied, never heard back from. I went to another today & they're on a hiring freeze for EMT-B's, only looking for medics now. There are only about 2 more companies I can apply to. Here's my problem. The vollie agency I took my course at isn't well liked in some EMS circles.

I'm thinking the best thing is to join a better recognized vollie, get some experience & then apply to the remaining few agencies.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
So did you have a question or...?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Probably wonders the same thing as others have in the past; is there anything else he can do?

It also probably feels good to talk about it. I know when I was looking for a job for over a year and a half, it felt good to talk about it even though I didn't really care to hear the same advise over and over "wear a suit", "write a resume", "volunteer", etc., or just hearing some friends repeat to me "I don't know what to say" or "get out of California". That's all right, it still felt good for me personally to just complain about it, and I almost did leave California, haha.

To the OP, it sounds like you have a good plan, good luck. Some people get a job right out of EMT school, some get an EMT job after recerting once or twice, and others will never get an EMT job. Browse around the forum for a googolplex amount of advice that others have posted, maybe interview questions (usually are similar to just regular interview questions possibly with some scenarios), wear a suit, write a resume, volunteer, shake babies, kiss hands, or the other way around...? I forget. ;) Consider trying different locations, even far, and hopefully you'll get it... eventually.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Probably wonders the same thing as others have in the past; is there anything else he can do?

It also probably feels good to talk about it. I know when I was looking for a job for over a year and a half, it felt good to talk about it even though I didn't really care to hear the same advise over and over "wear a suit", "write a resume", "volunteer", etc., or just hearing some friends repeat to me "I don't know what to say" or "get out of California". That's all right, it still felt good for me personally to just complain about it, and I almost did leave California, haha.

To the OP, it sounds like you have a good plan, good luck. Some people get a job right out of EMT school, some get an EMT job after recerting once or twice, and others will never get an EMT job. Browse around the forum for a googolplex amount of advice that others have posted, maybe interview questions (usually are similar to just regular interview questions possibly with some scenarios), wear a suit, write a resume, volunteer, shake babies, kiss hands, or the other way around...? I forget. ;) Consider trying different locations, even far, and hopefully you'll get it... eventually.

If you shake the baby, fake a seizure and then get amnesia later.

As far as getting a job, I guess I have been lucky to have gotten the jobs I have, and be where I am at now. I did EMT school in high school, worked as a vol ff/emt through college and then went to medic school after college. Many employers aren't just looking at whether or not you can be an "EMT", they are looking at how you interact with co-workers, patients and other people. Be friendly, courteous, dress well, stay groomed, don't be afraid to toot your own horn a bit and mention the things you have done in the past - EMS related or not - that were exceptional, if they ask for weaknesses - be honest, then explain how you worked to overcome them or are overcoming them. They don't want another cookie-cutter EMT, they want someone whom they can trust to work in the field and represent their company (some companies I question this value lol, but generally it holds true). Just keep plugging away at it, try to learn new things while you are searching, get your ITLS, or BCLS cards, read up on current happenings in EMS, new treatments, stay with the vol squad for experience, practice what you know so you don't lose it. Also, don't just narrow your focus to an EMS company, look for ER tech jobs, and other sundry EMT positions everywhere.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

If that's the case then, yes, go with your current plan, but still try those other companies...then go to medic school.

18G

Paramedic
So many people have bad experiences with interviews for EMT positions. Around here most are pretty relaxed and even informal.

Heck, my first Medic job was more of a meet and greet. I showed up in dress attire (including a stupid tie) and they looked at me like I had 4 heads... lol. It was basically to make sure I had a pulse, had proper certs, and ask "when can you start?". Granted it was a rural, backwoods, redneck operation but it was a stepping stone and worked to get a foundation down as a Medic until a better position came open somewhere else.

Just be relaxed and answer the questions the best you can and learn how to play the interviewers. Show calmness, confidence, and have fun with it. I know easier said than done but try it and see how it goes.

I'm not sure why these employers that are talked about make EMT's jump through hoops and act like they are hiring someone for a 90,000/yr position.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

RookieEmt

Forum Probie
I'm a former office worker, I thought becoming an EMT would be easy to get a job as they'll always be needed. In this economy, any job is hard to get, I thought this route would be sure.

I've got NO field experience. My EMT course was more focused on the book stuff. They showed us everything, bandaging, controlling the bleeding, etc. But I'd have NO idea if I was given a skills test at an interview. That's why I was thinking about another vollie. I'm wondering if experience through a vollie would make me a more attractive candidate.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Think about the answers you give in the interviews too. DON'T EVER say "you work too hard" or anything even similar to that in your interviews. Everyone does it and you look like a tool.

Same thing with why you want to be an emt or why you want to work for that specific company.

Honestly, my little quick story on why I want to be an emt gets the interviews talking and I usually get a lot of compliments on my reasoning.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
But I'd have NO idea if I was given a skills test at an interview..

Oh crap. Ya bud, review your stuff. I've had some pretty intense interviews and knowing your skills is a must. In fact know them well enough so that you could teach a bunch of 3rd graders to do them. CPR, you need to be able to teach it and use all the fancy terms to explain it. NPA's and OPA's, samething.. measure from the tragus to the nare/corner of the mouth.. ect. BVM, samething... all of your skills, know them enough that it'll knock the socks off the tester. I've been offered jobs on the spot after taking skills test, no oral interview.. It's that big of a deal. If you come through and stumble through it, you won't even get a second glance.

Remember you're then one they call when sh*t hits the fan, if you can't impress me with how well you do it and how well you know what you're doing... No way in hell will I give you a job as an EMT.

OP
OP
R

RookieEmt

Forum Probie
I may have used a few bad choice of words here...they taught us everything, Rapid takedowns, use of the long-board, etc, rapid assessment, however, it was more book based than skills tests. They were more concerned with getting $$ for teaching us. My program was a volunteer where the state reimburses them at a much higher rate than $900 for the EMT course. I have begun to go to accident scenes & watch EMT's perform to remember, PMS, etc. My fear is I dunno what I'm doing w/out field experience.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
I may have used a few bad choice of words here...they taught us everything, Rapid takedowns, use of the long-board, etc, rapid assessment, however, it was more book based than skills tests. They were more concerned with getting $$ for teaching us. My program was a volunteer where the state reimburses them at a much higher rate than $900 for the EMT course. I have begun to go to accident scenes & watch EMT's perform to remember, PMS, etc. My fear is I dunno what I'm doing w/out field experience.

Get some vollie experience, also call around to the local 911 providers and ask about scheduling rideouts.. Its not that hard and you get some good 911 experience.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
from RookieEmt-"My fear is I dunno what I'm doing w/out field experience. "

Me too! Sure we learned a lot in class, and I have LOADS of people skills (From being a social worker) and a few emergency calls (as a social worker & a security officer), but how do you get experience if no one is hiring EMT-B's. Vollie is the only other option really here, so I need to suck it up and go find out if Brewster Fire is doing vollie still. I dont want to be FIRE though, but not a lot of options here.

I had a successful interview with Cape Cod Ambulance but then my fiance tells me to talk to our friends who are in fire/ems and that I DONT want to work for CCA. Its one of the only few choices on Cape Cod (MA) and I'm beyond frustrated. None of the FD's hire from CCA and it has a bad rap. He doesn't want me to quit my job now bc what if i hate CCA and decide to quit and cant get my job back? I'm going to call a few of our FD friends and talk to them about it before making a decision and maybe get some ride-alongs.

Good luck

kate

NepoZnati

Forum Crew Member
My program was a volunteer where the state reimburses them at a much higher rate than $900 for the EMT course. I have begun to go to accident scenes & watch EMT's perform to remember, PMS, etc. My fear is I dunno what I'm doing w/out field experience.
That's really sounds like my lame school in Bronx... Now:

1) You should be aware that pro EMS companies don't put much weight if you volunteered. My partner was told his vollie at 911 service means nothing when he applied at pro EMS company. And he was not only one... So, don't wait and keep applying!
2) What you learned in school (thru books) should be enough to get you thru the interview and pre-test. During the orientation week you will have chance to prove yourself more. But, you do need to have that book knowledge for pre-test during the hiring process.
3) Your fear of not having the "field experience" is good for you. It will keep you focused on what you know and what you need to learn further, but it is not on your way to get a job... I got the job and I was on the streets just one month after I finished school.

EMTswag

Forum Crew Member
I'm a former office worker, I thought becoming an EMT would be easy to get a job as they'll always be needed. In this economy, any job is hard to get, I thought this route would be sure.

I've got NO field experience. My EMT course was more focused on the book stuff. They showed us everything, bandaging, controlling the bleeding, etc. But I'd have NO idea if I was given a skills test at an interview. That's why I was thinking about another vollie. I'm wondering if experience through a vollie would make me a more attractive candidate.

Be careful. A lot of places, at least in NJ, don't recognize vollie exp as actual experience.

18G

Paramedic
Remember you're then one they call when sh*t hits the fan, if you can't impress me with how well you do it and how well you know what you're doing... No way in hell will I give you a job as an EMT.

And it takes experience and mentoring to get that good.

RookieEMT,
As far as Volly experience... it definitely helps even if just on a personal and professional level. All patient care experiences are valuable and aren't any less valuable because you didn't receive a paycheck while gaining them. It's unfortunate some EMS companies may not recognize the Volly experience.

I would recommend getting Volly experience documented by a line officer. Have the officer indicate on a company letterhead how long you were a member, how many calls you have been on and at what capacity (ie third person, crew chief, etc), different call types you handled, etc. Take that with you as it may help since it is more specific to your actual experience.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
My only concern

Paying the money for the course based on the "idea" that there's job security here (job security? Tell him what that means in EMS gang!) is going to be thin motivation to get you through school in to the field and past the traumas of the work.

...but don't let me stop you.