Probie???

shug

Forum Probie
now I know that I'm pretty green and all, so I'm asking this knowing that I'll make myself look stupid in doing so, but what is a probie (besides something that goes in your butt ;) ) or is THAT what it is. I'm one on this site, seen it on a couple other sites and on Rescue Me, but I'm still in the dark. Is my first guess correct???>>>ready,aim,fire!!!!>>>>

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
A probie is a new person. (and a thing that goes in your butt but not the same thing in this context.) Also known as recruit, new guy, green, wet-behind-the-ears, etc. ;)

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
<raises hand> I'm one.

Probie is short for probationary (usually Probationary Firefighter, but the term's used in EMS as well, I believe). Most fire departments and EMS services require new folks to complete a probationary period where they are evaluated by more senior folks before being granted permanent status. In other words, if you screw up significantly during your probationary period, you may be immediately terminated whereas later on there's more of a review process and you might end up with different disciplinary action. Its also a time of on-the-job training and probies generally do a lot of the "grunt work" around the station. Probies are also generally held to a somewhat higher standard, such as calling officers "Sir", "Ma'am" or by rank instead of by first name and being expected to defer to more senior members (such as getting your meal after everyone else gets theirs).

In the fire service, probation is usually a year-long period. On my department, since we're volunteer, this is where the bulk of your training occcurs (there's a 3-6 month trainee period first, but you end up learning the most during the probie year). We have specific training requirements and other items that must be successfully completed before going off probation. Also, in our department, probies are not considered voting members of the department...regular members get to vote on whether trainees move up to probie, on changes to the Rules and Regulations and for the Chief of the Department and the Department Secretary. We also have higher minimums as far as drill, meeting and call attendance. For example, we have to attend at least 50% of all drills while regular members only have to attend 25%, and we have to attend 25% of all calls while regularl members only have to attend 15%.

Some departments have other requirements as well. LAFD, for example, requires probies to serve at three different stations and in different capacities (engine company, truck company, etc.) before being assigned to a permanent station. I think FDNY might do the same, but I'm not sure.

My probationary period is up in December, and I just had my "final" review with my Captain where he basically signed off on all my training and skills requirements (I still need 2 hours of ropes and knots training), so I essentially just have to wait out the next 2 months and then I'll be a regular member.

OP
OP
S

shug

Forum Probie
Very insightfull!!! And thank you both for being gentle. I thought for sure I'd catch crap for that one. I'd be interested to know what diffrent areas do or don't let their probies do.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
On our department, probies more or less do everything that a regular Firefighter does. Initially, a probie may be somewhat restricted by his/her Captain if the Captain's not comfortable with the probie's skills or experience in a certain area, but that's done on an individual basis and is usually for a short time (1 to 2 months max).

Most Captains, however, believe in the "sink or swim" method. When I first came on, I already had my EMT cert (a lot of people on our department don't when they first join so we do a class once a year usually). So, at one of my first Crew meetings, my Captain told everyone that I was to be the primary care person on any medical call when we were on duty. If someone was already providing care when I got on-scene, they were to hand over to me. Of course, he also told everyone to watch me closely and jump in and help as needed, but it was a great way to get my confidence up and polish my skills, and I mentally thank him for it every time I run a call now.

As far as driving goes, probies are generally not allowed to drive any department vehicles until they've completed 3 months. At that time, they're required to take the city map test and can then staff and drive the utiility truck (Ford F-350 which carries a variety of rescue and medical equipment and responds to all calls as a back-up to the ambulance). If the probie already has his/her EMT and a California Ambulance Driver Certificate, they can also start staffing and driving the ambulance. The ambulance and utility are the only apparatus we staff 24/7...they're taken home each night by an on-duty member, who responds directly from his/her house.

Other than that, there's really no restrictions on what a probie can do on our department.