Prob. starting EMT in Jan, couple of questions

kristina

Forum Ride Along
Hi (again)

So called the local ambulance district. Really didn't say they do ride-alongs but the EMT class is still open. (For any MO people I've seen where SCCAD is recommded program but that's just random googling) Can start January, I have a couple days to decide, mostly figure out the whole schedule with driving between work and picking up the kids, fun. "Worst" case it's over in May and gives me something to do two evenings a week, right?

They also have a medic program (every August) I know that's getting way, way ahead of myself, but just while I'm thinking of things - it says pre-req is either Human Bio from the local CC or an approved A&P course. Nevermind rehashing the argurment going straight from EMT to medic, but just in case I thought I'd might try to get that out of the way if there's a course that fits in an already tight schedule. I know there's a few bio courses on my college transcript, but yeah, 10 years ago? Just hoping the brian cells are dormant versus gone. Or better to just get through the EMT, take a year to find an A&P course (still working) and worry about medic way down the road so to speak.

OP
OP
K

kristina

Forum Ride Along
And the question is...? Lol.

Yeah, that was a bit more just rambling, wasn't it? Multitasking fail, hah. I guess just seeing if anyone's gone through the same program and whether or not to get the pre-req out of the way sooner versus waiting a whole year between the two programs if I end up going that route. At least on their website, says EMT jobs are hard to come by around the metro area here (esp I'd need part time)

Lola99

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, that was a bit more just rambling, wasn't it? Multitasking fail, hah. I guess just seeing if anyone's gone through the same program and whether or not to get the pre-req out of the way sooner versus waiting a whole year between the two programs if I end up going that route. At least on their website, says EMT jobs are hard to come by around the metro area here (esp I'd need part time)

Once you have your basic done, how long you wait for medic is sort of just a variable. Longer means more experience in the field, which is always a plus. Shorter means less experience (which would obv be at least a small help in medic class), but once you're done, more medic experience by the end.
If you're not in a hurry, I'd say take it slow.
I took my basic class senior year of high school and was my passed my written 10 days after I turned 18, recieved cert 9 days later. That was Feb 24. I am now working on my pre-reqs, which are a little more extensive with A&P (2 seperate 5-credt classes), interpersonal communications, calculus (not required, but I tested out of all the other math classes for my medic program), sociology, psychology, english composition, and obviously EMT-B cert. I start medic class when I finish all those, which will be next Christmas because my school is a crowded pain in my rear.
Then again, my situation is different because I'm just out of high school.
I don't know about your area :(
Hope I covered at least something you were looking for.