Prior Army Medic starting new job in civilian EMS

SixEightWhiskey

Forum Crew Member
I recently completed my active duty time in the Army as a senior line medic. I used my NREMT cert to reciprocate and obtain my Massachusetts EMT-B license. I am starting a job this week with a private IFT ambulance company in MA. Although I do have a good amount of clinical, hospital and tactical EMS experience, I've never worked in traditional ambulance-based EMS. In a lot of ways I'll basically be approaching it as though I'm a brand new EMT. With that in mind, can anyone provide any good tips on what I should expect, or things I'll probably have to learn on the fly as far as ambulance operations, documentation, etc? Thank you!

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I recently completed my active duty time in the Army as a senior line medic. I used my NREMT cert to reciprocate and obtain my Massachusetts EMT-B license. I am starting a job this week with a private IFT ambulance company in MA. Although I do have a good amount of clinical, hospital and tactical EMS experience, I've never worked in traditional ambulance-based EMS. In a lot of ways I'll basically be approaching it as though I'm a brand new EMT. With that in mind, can anyone provide any good tips on what I should expect, or things I'll probably have to learn on the fly as far as ambulance operations, documentation, etc? Thank you!

Working in MA you will get plenty of feedback on your documentation:wacko:

I never worked in the army but civilian EMS is as much customer service as it is about patient care, if not more.

Being the FNG, I would suggest you keep a low profile and listen to your FTO. If things are done a different way at this company than what your used to, smile and say OK, and do it their way. To be blunt: no one cares how you were taught or how you did it in the army, if they want you to do it their way then do it their way. Once you are cleared and on your own, do it how you want.

congrats on getting hired in MA!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Welcome to civilian EMS "doc" ;-)

If you want to stay in EMS, get a feel for it on the civilian side(not just IFT, but 911 and critical care) if you find its your cup of tea, my advise to you would be to use your post 9/11 GI bill and complete Paramedic training with this. I know for sure if you do it at a community college or university you will have %100 of the tuition and fee's covered, plus you will get a monthly check that is enough to live on ( especially if you work part time as an EMT). By getting your Paramedic it will open up more 911 jobs and also better pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
SixEightWhiskey

SixEightWhiskey

Forum Crew Member
Thank you guys! I actually am already enrolled in a Paramedic program in MA which starts in January. Definitely think I'll do well in pre-hospital medicine, just want to get used to how the civilian side works!