Preparing for 911 as an EMT

ic3blink

Forum Ride Along
paramedic school

I did want to attend paramedic school after a year of experience as a EMT. However, after my most recent job interview for an EMT position I found out first hand how difficult it is for medics right now in So Cal. In my interview group of 7 applicants for EMT they were 2 medics applying for the EMT position because they could not find work anywhere else. I suppose the reason for their lack of employment could be for some unknown reason to me but it definitely smoldered my hopes of being a medic for the moment. I do think you have a point though, why spend $10,000 just to make $2 more per hour. Private medics aren't paid well compared to firefighter medics which sounds super competitive too. what do I know, I just got hired yesterday for my first EMT position.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I did want to attend paramedic school after a year of experience as a EMT. However, after my most recent job interview for an EMT position I found out first hand how difficult it is for medics right now in So Cal. In my interview group of 7 applicants for EMT they were 2 medics applying for the EMT position because they could not find work anywhere else. I suppose the reason for their lack of employment could be for some unknown reason to me but it definitely smoldered my hopes of being a medic for the moment. I do think you have a point though, why spend $10,000 just to make $2 more per hour. Private medics aren't paid well compared to firefighter medics which sounds super competitive too. what do I know, I just got hired yesterday for my first EMT position.

In NYC, we currently have a pending firefighter exam with well over 40,000 applicants for 1000 vacancies.

Thankfully I automatically take top of the list :)

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Direct from the Samuel Merrit web page.
http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/fnp_nursing/requirements
Applicants must meet the following criteria:

Baccalaureate in nursing (RNs with degrees in other fields will be evaluated individually)
Current California RN license

Clinical practice experience
Two letters of reference (see below)
Successful completion of a statistics course
TOEFL (U.S. citizens or international students) - The need for TOEFL will be assessed based on information provided by applicants on the application for admission, if required, a minimum score of 100 (internet based test) must be achieved and official score results must be provided.

Also, they only accept 24 applicants per year. That means you better bring an outstanding background in grades and nursing practice to the table.

Sorry to shatter your plans... On the bright side, with a B.S degree you probably have the majority of prereqs for a BSN and could make RN in 1.5-2.5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I already said I have a B.S. and was going for the NP program....

http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/elms_nursing/requirements

You are misinformed on what you are looking at. You are looking at an MSN degree, NOT nurse practitioner. Masters in nursing science is a science masters, it does not allow you to practice as an NP upon completion.

Nurse Practioner requires a BSN. No exceptions, anywhere. It's a national standard.

You have a bachelors in science. You NEED a bachelors in the science of nursing and an RN license. Do you have a BS or a BSN? There is a major difference.

THIS is the course you think you are aiming for, and it requires a california RN license w/ BSN.

http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/fnp_nursing

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You are misinformed on what you are looking at. You are looking at an MSN degree, NOT nurse practitioner. Masters in nursing science is a science masters, it does not allow you to practice as an NP upon completion.

Nurse Practioner requires a BSN. No exceptions, anywhere. It's a national standard.

You have a bachelors in science. You NEED a bachelors in the science of nursing and an RN license. Do you have a BS or a BSN? There is a major difference.

THIS is the course you think you are aiming for, and it requires a california RN license w/ BSN.

http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/fnp_nursing

He can transition from the MSN to the NP program once he gets an RN license and 1 semester of work experience. the 3 years for np starts there.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
He can transition from the MSN to the NP program once he gets an RN license and 1 semester of work experience. the 3 years for np starts there.

Right, but he needs his RN. That's the point I'm making.

He won't be an NP In just 3 years.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
That sounds like a PA to me, not an NP. The only use a PA has is to bloat the cost of north american medical care by following algorythms that some guy off the street could do.

Yikes! Someone feels strongly about that. I bet this is or has been a contentious topic here in the past.

Rigorous and NP are not usually associated with each other. There are Direct entry NP programs. Usually three years. Year one is RN, and year two and three is the NP.

NP cannot hold a candle to PA education. DNP is nothing more that degree creep and practice rights are largely a result of the political juggernaut that is the nursing associations.

There's a reason there are no NP->DO programs out there

Regardless, after about 5 years in practice there is no real difference b/w PA or NP and both fill the same roles with PA's being most heavily involved in specialties. There is a place for both providers. One is not superior to another, just different.

Being that you are who you are it's unlikely that you'll be changing opinions, but to represent NP training as rigorous and some how more superior to PA training is disingenuous. Especially in light of the fact RN training is largely superfluous in learning how to practice medicine, which is what NPs, PAs, DOs, and MDs do, and that most PA have had a large amount of experience and require a 4-year degree prior to admission.

The algorithm comment is the the most surprising because that's precisely what NP's are accused of doing.

I don't want to get into an argument here, because arguing on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , but lets at least try and be a little unbiased and fair in the comments made.

Check out http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ to see what the Docs think

and maybe spend a little time here: http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/forum.php

Food for thought:
Duke's FNP curriculum
Duke's PA curriculum

Quinnipiac's FNP curriculum
Quinnipiac's PA curriculum

Western University's FNP curriculum
Western University's PA curriculum

Yale's FNP curriculum
Western University's PA curriculum

Baylor's FNP curriculum
Baylor's PA didactic curriculum
Baylor's PA clinical curriculum

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
And_here_we_go.gif

OP
OP
E

EMT1A

Forum Crew Member
ELMSN Family Nurse Practitioner Admission Requirements
Samuel Merritt University welcomes the opportunity to help you learn more about our Entry-Level Master of Science in Nursing program. The ELMSN program requires a previous baccalaureate in a non-nursing field.
http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/fnp_elms_nursing/requirements

Family Nurse Practitioner Admission Requirements
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
•Baccalaureate in nursing (RNs with degrees in other fields will be evaluated individually)
http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/fnp_nursing/requirements

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Here is a list of direct-entry NP programs in the U.S.

http://nursingdegreeguide.com/program-directory/direct-entry-msn/

To the OP: You're prereqs are going to take awhile, you still need a BA or BS, and while the direct-entry NP programs are out there, it's still not a shortcut for someone without a 4-year degree.

Short cuts are never good.

He has a BS.

I suppose he is partially correct he's just replacing RN with MSN prior to NP.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
He has a BS.

I suppose he is partially correct he's just replacing RN with MSN prior to NP.

I still don't like it.

Direct entry NP programs seem to be the antithesis to what the NP profession was built on: A solid and extensive RN education and experience. Which is also nursing's defense to the relatively abbreviated number of clinical hours required. Thus it's undermined by these sorts of programs

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I still don't like it.

Direct entry NP programs seem to be the antithesis to what the NP profession was built on: A solid and extensive RN education and experience. Which is also nursing's defense to the relatively abbreviated number of clinical hours required. Thus it's undermined by these sorts of programs

That pretty much sums up my opinion of it.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I still don't like it.

It's a cheat to the system just as non-masters PA programs are.

People will always find shortcuts and do their best to utilize them.

I for one am interested in medicine because I love learning more about it and growing. Sure I want to start making money as soon as I can but life is about experiences for me. Money isn't everything.

WHEN I return to school, be it for PA,RN-->NP or MD, it's going to be the proper journey that gains me even more knowledge and experience along the way. Not some shortcut that makes me no better than a cookbook paramedic with a bigger paycheck.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Become a doctor in 1 year

It's a cheat to the system just as non-masters PA programs are.

People will always find shortcuts and do their best to utilize them.

Buy a degree from a less than scupulous university in various countries.

Study 1 year for a licensing exam in said country.

Take and pass said licensing exam. (I suggest multiple choice ones for best results, it is much harder to deceive an oral board)

Apply for reciprocity anywhere you want to go.

Why waste time doing things the long way?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Buy a degree from a less than scupulous university in various countries.

Study 1 year for a licensing exam in said country.

Take and pass said licensing exam. (I suggest multiple choice ones for best results, it is much harder to deceive an oral board)

Apply for reciprocity anywhere you want to go.

Why waste time doing things the long way?

Is that how half these brainless nurses end up in NYC ERs?