Pre EMT-B suggested study

AustinEMT

Forum Ride Along
Howdy from Texas y'all. I'll be taking the EMT-B course during the upcoming Summer semester and I'd like to get a jump on my studies. Are there any suggested reading materials and/or studying that I can do that will give me not only a higher probability of success in the course but also help me achieve a higher score on my NREMT exam? What would y'all have done differently when you were getting started knowing what you know now? Thanks in advance.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Read the book assigned to your class. And read each chapter prior to covering it in class. Everything you need is in the book.

The NREMT is only a P/F exam. Absolutely study to do well on it, but other than "Pass", there are no higher scores.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Read your book you will be using for class, have a basic understanding of anatomy.

OP
OP
A

AustinEMT

Forum Ride Along
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I want do well in the class and on the test because I want to one day be a damn fine medic. Are there any study strategies that anyone can suggest? I've heard of using flash cards. Anything that will me to become the best possible Medic.

OP
OP
A

AustinEMT

Forum Ride Along
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I want do well in the class and on the test because I want to one day be a damn fine medic. Are there any study strategies that anyone can suggest? I've heard of using flash cards. Anything that will me to become the best possible Medic.
Besides better grammar.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you want to be "the best possible medic", pay attention in EMT class. Read a lot. Work as an EMT and decide if this is a job you really want. Then, complete the paramedic prerequisites and attend paramedic school. Once you've completed that, you can aspire to be "the best possible medic".

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
Study, coffee break, study, study, coffee break, study, coffee break. Repeat 3 times daily or until material starts to sink in.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
For me, medic was really hard and EMT was a breeze. Go to class, read the book, do your homework. There's nothing hard about passing EMT or registry on your first try.

Now, mastering those skills and understanding the "why" behind all of them...that's what's actually important if you want to go far in EMS, and that takes time, experience and dedication.