pre-employment drug test

EMT1A

Forum Crew Member
Anybody applied for an ambulance company that required you to pay for the pre-employment drug test and lift test?

I got offered the job but it is contingent that I pass both tests and a ride along. I also wouldn't be getting reimbursed for the drug & lift test.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Pay for tests and get a job and make money regardless of test costs.

Don't take test, remain unemployed and unpaid.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've never had to pay for a test, but in California, where you can't swing a KED without hitting a pack of EMTs, I can see how the companies can get away with charging prospective employees... Even though I think the practice sucks.

OP
OP
E

EMT1A

Forum Crew Member
I would pass the two tests without a problem. Only thing I'm worried about is getting rejected even though I pass all their tests since nothing is written down and is pretty much word of mouth. This is a really small ambulance company also.

The drug & lift test costs upwards of $228...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I've never had to pay for a test, but in California, where you can't swing a KED without hitting a pack of EMTs, I can see how the companies can get away with charging prospective employees... Even though I think the practice sucks.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That is what I was going to say, I just wasn't going to say it so artfully.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Just took my drug test today. company paid :D

OP
OP
E

EMT1A

Forum Crew Member
I can definitely see a smaller company doing this as I wasn't able to find anything about whether not the employer has to pay for the pre-employment drug test.

Makes sense since EMT's are a dime a dozen sadly in California.

Was wondering if anybody else has the same experience with any other companies.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Does seem lame, not sure I would fork out the 200 bucks unless my hire was contingent on the results, ie. you got the job depending on results of test.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
most companies here pay for the test themselves. Otherwise, you can go to somewhere less reputable and pay off a working to fake your test results. At my departments, there is no initial test unless the Chief wants it, but after that they can call you up at any time for a drug test for cause or randomly.

If it's randomly or post accident, then you are paid for your time to go to the place to do it, plus get paid milage if you don't take a company car, and then come back and continue your shift.

If it's for cause, then you clock out immediately, and go take the test. You stay off duty until the results come back. If they come back clean, the company pays you for the hours you were originally scheduled for plus milage if you didn't take a company car. If it comes back positive, you'll most likely be gone anyways.

SSwain

Forum Captain
Had to do both...but they picked up the bill.
They wouldn't have sent me if I wasn't a likely candidate for the position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iowaemtb

Forum Probie
As a volunteer agency we don't have a drug or lift test. However we assisted on a call in a neighboring community for lift help. This lady weighed in at about 560 lbs she had fallen out of her chair in a doorway. Well seven people showed up, we did get her out of the house by sliding her on the scatter rug in the doorway where she fell, then rolled her onto a back board and got her lifted onto the stretcher. The paramedic on the call said, guess you guys just passed your lift test! Gee Thanks!