Pratical Tips

emtAsh

Forum Probie
I would love for some tips for when I take my praticals for AEMT. I have bad test anxiety and I would appreciate any and all tips. Thanks in advance-

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Slow way way down. It's not about speed.

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
^^^ Repeat out load of the steps you have taken so far if you get distracted.

grump

Forum Probie
bigbaldguy has the best advice you can get. If you know your stuff and try to rush through things you will push yourself too far too quick. The time given is really longer than you realize. Good luck

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Slow way way down. It's not about speed.

This is true of all exams.

I think the problem with EMS related stuff is that we feel the need to rush on account of jobs being "an emergency".

Don't allow yourself to become distracted with whats wrong with the patient. It sounds strange I know, but its not really relevant until you reach the end of your assessment.

When I was helping some students out for their 2nd years exams a little while back, their biggest problem would be that they got distracted during their assessment by a sign or symptom that made them nervous.

"Ah okay he's got chest pain well lets give him some GTN and..."
"Woah there, you don't even have a BP"

These scenarios are literally about ticking boxes as you move through your assessment. Do it methodically and calmly. Slow and steady wins the race.

CMHills

Forum Probie
While you're moving through everything at what should seem like a painfully slow pace, be sure to verbalize everything you're doing. There are some things you just flat out need to verbalize, but those are few and far between. The biggest reason to talk through everything is to keep your evaluator appraised of what you're doing so they can just go down the list checking boxes.