PPE at Dialysis clinic

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
Our dialysis clinic has started making us wear PPE when we go in the treatment area. I completely understand this. However, they will not give us our own jackets. We have to share them with every other visitor. There are at least 3 ambulance services that take patients there. At least 6 people plus however many visitors all have to share the same 2-3 jackets. If anyone has ever worn them, they know how bad they sweat in them. To me, there is a bigger chance of getting cooties from wearing these jackets, than there is of not. Wouldn't this be health code? Who would we talk to about it? I already asked them about giving us our own and writing our names on them so we knew whos was who. They said they could not afford to do that.
Oh, and to clarify, the jackets that I am referring to are the paper like protective jackets that most dialysis clinic staff have to wear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Where I worked all the staff shared jackets, so I don't think it is a big deal.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
If they're the ones I'm thinking of, they should be disposable paper scrubs anyway. Mention this to the dialysis center and emphasize that you're just trying to protect the patients as they recommended. Just brace yourself to be ignored as this is a for profit dialysis center we're talking about.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Are we talking about those disposable gowns? They only cost a couple of bucks per gown. Surely they or your provider can provide you them.

Aidey

The ones we used looked like lab coats, just disposable. My guess is that their issue is the long term cost. Even if they are only 3-4 bucks each, an extra 6 coats a day over a year is $9000.

OP
OP
N

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
Yes, they are disposable. I understand costs, but it is not to much to ask for everyone's safety that each person have their own. (Write their name on it, leave it at clinic) You don't know what germs are on you, let alone someone else!! It's like putting someone else's sweaty tshirt on.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
The other day, one of the crews apparently had words with the workers and took the coats with them when they left. (-;

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
The other day, one of the crews apparently had words with the workers and took the coats with them when they left. (-;

Oh I am sure that will get your point across and improve your relationship with the clinic. :glare:

Sublime

LP, RN
Our dialysis clinic has started making us wear PPE when we go in the treatment area. I completely understand this. However, they will not give us our own jackets. We have to share them with every other visitor. There are at least 3 ambulance services that take patients there. At least 6 people plus however many visitors all have to share the same 2-3 jackets. If anyone has ever worn them, they know how bad they sweat in them. To me, there is a bigger chance of getting cooties from wearing these jackets, than there is of not. Wouldn't this be health code? Who would we talk to about it? I already asked them about giving us our own and writing our names on them so we knew whos was who. They said they could not afford to do that.
Oh, and to clarify, the jackets that I am referring to are the paper like protective jackets that most dialysis clinic staff have to wear.

If you're that concerned about it can you not spend a few bucks on your own disposable jacket? A company that doesn't employ you isn't worried about providing you with your own jacket.

Aidey

Yes, they are disposable. I understand costs, but it is not to much to ask for everyone's safety that each person have their own. (Write their name on it, leave it at clinic) You don't know what germs are on you, let alone someone else!! It's like putting someone else's sweaty tshirt on.

The coats should be thrown away on a regular basis, so the costs will add up. Asking them to absorb several thousand extra dollars in expenses because you are afraid of cooties is a bit much. What exactly are you afraid is going to happen if you share coats?

Bieber

Forum Crew Member
Maybe you could suggest to your admin that they supply you guys with disposable gowns on your ambulances.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
every medic i've ever worked on has had disposable gowns. Also, they sit in packs by every third patient room in the ERs. I doubt they are that expensive. Are you sure there are no gowns in your infection control kit in the truck?

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
IMO, if they are going to make you wear gowns, they need to provide them... Even if it costs them extra. If you make the rule, then you gotta shell out to enforce it.

That being said, I'm always swooping up extra supplies any time I'm in the ED. Emesis hoops, gowns, blankets, pens, gloves, wallets... :cool:

Aidey

They are supplying them, they just aren't supplying everyone with his or her own personal one.

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
IMO, if they are going to make you wear gowns, they need to provide them... Even if it costs them extra. If you make the rule, then you gotta shell out to enforce it.

That being said, I'm always swooping up extra supplies any time I'm in the ED. Emesis hoops, gowns, blankets, pens, gloves, wallets... :cool:

My sentiments exactlly. The pt safety never trumps the providers safety. So why re these dialysis clinics getting away with it?

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief

That used to be the thing aroud here, swoop up what you can and the ED picks up the tab..

The idea behind it was they would resupply what you used on that call. I.E. Oxygen delivery devices, suction caths, you name it.

It got abused so now its all under lock and key and you have to ask for it. I doubt you can justify that you used 100 nasal cannulas on a call.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
The coats should be thrown away on a regular basis, so the costs will add up. Asking them to absorb several thousand extra dollars in expenses because you are afraid of cooties is a bit much. What exactly are you afraid is going to happen if you share coats?

Spread disease?

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
as to spreadable diseases sharing coats....

first thing that came to mind when i read this was = RING WORMS!!!!