Powdered Succinylcholine Question

bdette41

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for help with trying to overcome the obstacle of needing to refrigerate succinylcholine. I know it comes supplied in a powdered form (supposedly). The only "product" I've found has been Anectine Flo Pack 500mg. Unfortunately, all I've learned is that this product simply exists -- I haven't found anyone that manufactures or sells it . I was wondering if anyone out there could shed some light on the topic. We have a problem at my service where our refrigerators go out in the trucks which means we're constantly having to replace our Succs (and cardizem, but that's off topic). Anyways, as some of you may know, Succs isn't cheap and I want to help my agency find an alternative. I've googled the hell out of different suppliers and have so far turned up empty handed (Boundtree, Sandoz, neither of these carry a powdered form of succs). I'm looking for suggestions on where to look to find the powdered form. My agency is in South Carolina, just as an FYI.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sux is about 99 cents a vial. Don't bother refrigerating it. Throw it out after 2 weeks and replace it.

Or take advantage of the fact that sux is still about 96% potent after 90 days at room temp, so just don't worry about replacing it that often.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bdette41

Forum Ride Along
Then I wonder what we're doing because all I've heard is that it's expensive ($20 a bottle in bulk). Thank you for the info, I've got some administrators to talk to now... -_-

OP
OP
B

bdette41

Forum Ride Along
Then I wonder what we're doing because all I've heard is that it's expensive ($20 a bottle in bulk). Thank you for the info, I've got some administrators to talk to now... -_-

I also know that looking directly at bound tree it's about $80 a bottle....so where are you guys buying your Succs at for 99 cents a pop??

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
From the hospital pharmacy. It's ridiculously cheap.

Toss it every 2 weeks. Or, convince your admin to move to Roc.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I purchase my "sux" like this: 10ml MDV 20mg/ml 25/box for $805.03 which equates to $32 bucks a vial.

Cheap enough to toss and write off if not used.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I will add if you are a small department and having to buy smaller quantities, then yes your prices will be higher such as the $80 a vial you referenced.

If this is the case, then be proactive and network with local hospitals or other providers and combine your buying power or see if you can rebuy through them if legally allowed. If not, negotiate with your pharmaceutical/supply rep. They have the ability to make lower prices.

TXmed

Forum Captain
We use roc, thats good for 60 days i believe (according to the manufacteur). then you dont have to use succs+vec.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
We used to replace our vials of succinylcholine every 15 days since we kept them at room temperature.

Now we have managed to get ahold of pre-filled 10 mL syringes of succs at 20 mg/mL that are good for 90 days. I have no idea how, but pharmacy magic was clearly applied somewhere. Either that or we're operating off Remi's suggestion that it maintains 96% potency at 90 days...We're using fairly high succs dosing anyway, so 96% would be more than adequate. I believe our supply guys mentioned that each of our prefills costs ~$25-$30. Not too shabby for three months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk