Podcast idea

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I've had enough, I am sick and tired of the draim brananage caused by smashing my head on the desk and the two strokes I have had from stress. My cardiologist says my myocardial ischemia means my ejection factor is like 20 and if I have one more heart attack I won't have any heart muscle to replace with fibrosis tissue!

At heart I am an ambo; I love the street and going to jobs and getting to use what I know for good. I also love teaching and seeing people "click" when they get it; I am naturally curious and had a veracious appetite for knowing stuff.

What I'd love to start up is a podcast/blog thingo (yes, the internet in all its glory means that weirdos like me can carve out a niche for themselves that nobody will visit but it still makes us feel good!) about biomedical science and paramedicine and how the two relate something like ...

- Cover a body system in depth
- Throw in a few drugs that effect it which patients are regularly on
- Explain some common conditions that patients have and what they are/do
- Cover the common drugs that ambo's use and what they do
- Maybe look at some new trends or research being done in this area
- Answer some common questions

Could be a weekly or monthly thing, or like a set (there are only so many body systems!) that would hopefully help everybody get some really good info in stuff I think is really important but just not covered enough.

I know we have a few folk on here who are pretty knowledgeable and maybe we can get together for an hour or so each week and have some fun and impart some knowledge.

Anybody want to help out or am I just gonna be another weirdo sitting in his computer room broadcasting to nobody? lol

.... Brown away :ph34r:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Love the idea. There are plenty of yanks at it. It'd be good to have an Australian perspective. I suppose the body of an American is roughly the same as an A/NZ'er (although I have my doubts ^_^), so the pure biomed component might be rehashing a little, but in general, we do things very differently to our Yank counterparts, so I think its a good idea.

I love the idea of teaching one day, but being a student, I'd be more of a benefactor of said blog than a blogger per se, but I'd be happy to chat about it. Maybe I could add a student perspective - you know, whats wrong with what we're being taught and why. I certainly have plenty of opinions on some of the BS we're being fed.

OP
OP
M

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds good mate, you on Facebook or MSN or something?

Anybody else interested?

.... need food, Brown away to peristalsisisisisisisise :ph34r:

emt4life

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like a great idea. What would be really helpful is, from an isntructor perspective, is start out on a basic level in the podcast and then get more ALS. So many things are geared toward Paramedic that I am so often searching for good podcast for my EMT basic students. But that could also be used for paramedic students, because they so often forget to think of the basics first before getting to their fancy treatments.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah I think it requires a certain talent to explain things on a basic level, to people without much training, without simplifying it to the point of being wrong.

ie, how do you explain pulmonary oedema to someone who has no idea of lung A&P. Obviously you need to start with a bit of A&P, but how much is appropriate for their level, and how much time do you have?

Yeah Brown, I'm on both, I'll PM you the addies in a sec.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Sounds fun!

But don't forget there's a human aspect to the business too which includes a lot of weird and wonderful things. That could spice things up a bit for occasional deviations from the dry, clinical stuff.

OP
OP
M

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd like to shy away from the whole "BLS vs ALS" thing for a minute because I feel that really sets very rigid boundaries on knowledge and the whole thing of "well you're BLS, you don't need to know that".

There is no reason that everybody (at whatever practice level) should not know the same things when it comes to the fundamentals of how the body and drugs work; it really lays the foundation on which you build everything else.

We could obviously start small and work up; throw in any ideas that you guys have and we'll see if we can get something going.

OP
OP
M

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I came up this these ideas while on the toidee

- Basic scientific research methods and how it applies to EMS
- Resp physiology, oxygenation vs ventilation and how it applies to EMS
- Med info on ACEI/CCB/BBs etc aimed at IFT or more basic level providers
- Something about basic Engrish compersitshin and PCRs
- Profile a medication or a drug or just something topical

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I wrote this in another thread (now slightly modified) about the areas that a person should cover, if they want to get ahead with EMT study. Seems to apply here.

-Autonomic nervous system: particularly the functions and effects in different pathologies, know the difference between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems and what they do.
-Cardiovascular system: how it works, what affects it, preload, afterload, systemic vascular resistance.
-Pulmonary system: get familiar with the trip that Oxygen takes from when its in the air to when it gets to your cells (its called the Oxygen cascade), and some of the things that can stop it along the way, including coverage of the concept of the O-Hb dis curve.
-Basic structural anatomy: the important bones, location of the major organs, blood vessels, and the the different organ systems (circulatory, pulmonary, reproductive etc).
-Anatomical terminology: distal-proximal, superior-inferior, etc

All the time be conscious of the affects that age has on all these things (children have higher heart rates, the elderly will tend to have reduced cardiac output).

OP
OP
M

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
-Pulmonary system: get familiar with the trip that Oxygen takes from when its in the air to when it gets to your cells (its called the Oxygen cascade), and some of the things that can stop it along the way, including coverage of the concept of the O-Hb dis curve..

I think this should be the first thing we cover.

Looks like we're having a tough time getting other people interested, perhaps we'll just be two guys broadcasting to nobody? lol

Maybe we can sign up VentMedic, I'd love to hear her explain this

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I'll definitely listen if you make it.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I think this should be the first thing we cover.

Looks like we're having a tough time getting other people interested, perhaps we'll just be two guys broadcasting to nobody? lol

Maybe we can sign up VentMedic, I'd love to hear her explain this

I'd love to hear her full stop. Somehow I can't imagine there actually being a voice that would fit the severe tone that always imagine in my head when I'm reading her posts. B) I think she might be a little busy to be explaining the basics of pulmonary medicine for a sheep lover and a kangaroo jockey, but who knows ;)

Broadcasting to nobody...wouldn't be that much different to my usual rants :p