Playtime Peculiarity

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Wild mushrooms are delicious.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Um, noooo not that but good guess!

Paging the smart people...how long do you get with a mesentaric artery failure before the bowel infarcts? All I've ever seen are tears with ischemia, that slowly recover afterward.

This is such a good scenario, I hate to hijack, but it's a little bit relevant since the author said it was a good guess, right?

Also, I'm going to do a reality check on the hand sanitizer notion. There is no way on God's green earth a 7 yo would drink hand sanitizer. It would take a psych pathology that was definitely not out of the blue.

OP
OP
M

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, I'm going to do a reality check on the hand sanitizer notion. There is no way on God's green earth a 7 yo would drink hand sanitizer. It would take a psych pathology that was definitely not out of the blue.

Hey! Brown drank bleech when he was like 12. It tasted yucky!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Paging the smart people...how long do you get with a mesentaric artery failure before the bowel infarcts? All I've ever seen are tears with ischemia, that slowly recover afterward.

This is such a good scenario, I hate to hijack, but it's a little bit relevant since the author said it was a good guess, right?

Start a new thread on it. :)

There are 2 mesenteric artieries, the superior and the inferior.

Infarcts

Because of the collateral circulation, it has to be a very major if not total occlusion before it starts to cause problems. But once it actually clots off, the collateral can no longer support it. It is an acute emergency as the bowel will suffer irreversable damage in hours.

How soon depends on the location of the infarct, but it is usually right at the junction of the aorta and the respective artery.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
It's Lupus!

duhh

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think maybe it is time to put this out of its misery.

My head is hurting from what I have been looking at.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I give up as well

Sam Adams

Forum Lieutenant
This kid is SEVEN, guys! Have you ever seen a 7 yo?!

Brown, for the record, can we have a look at the sexual maturity of this second grader?

Yes, yes I have seen a 7 year old. However, considering the author of this scenario, ANYthing AND EVERYthing is possible if not likely.

Half of me was kidding when I mentioned TSS, but kids do funny things. Often a result of watched and learned behavior from their parents... Could this child have put something someplace prematurely? Absolutely. If you haven't transported someone with something shoved somewhere it wasnt meant to be, you haven't worked in EMS long enough. ;)

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
A congenital disease like Arteriovenous malformation?

OP
OP
M

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
The child drank a whole bottle of hand soap, spent 48 hours in a medically induced coma in intensive care and walked out of hospital two days later

Her serum ethanol level was something like 400mg/dl

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
The child drank a whole bottle of hand soap, spent 48 hours in a medically induced coma in intensive care and walked out of hospital two days later

Wait, waterless alcohol-based hand soap? Didn't expect to see that in a permanent bathroom.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

If she was in a medically induced coma for three days, who induced it and why? Did I miss something?