Picky about the ambulance I drive( random vent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
I’m not super picky about my rig mostly because I used to be in a different ambulance everyday. When I did finally get a shift with the same one everyday I did like to make sure I had stuff in a particular way where I wanted it so it was more suited to how I like things. I have always done a full checkout and knew exactly where things were, but when I had the same one everyday I made sure to move stuff around for more my liking. The only thing for me is I HATE dirty ambulances lol. I’m talking more about people who leave trash and gross residue everywhere and I wipe nearly everything down at the beginning of my shift. Maybe covid made me a germaphobe, but I also feel like it’s embarrassing to have patients in something that looks so unprofessional.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I’m not super picky about my rig mostly because I used to be in a different ambulance everyday. When I did finally get a shift with the same one everyday I did like to make sure I had stuff in a particular way where I wanted it so it was more suited to how I like things. I have always done a full checkout and knew exactly where things were, but when I had the same one everyday I made sure to move stuff around for more my liking. The only thing for me is I HATE dirty ambulances lol. I’m talking more about people who leave trash and gross residue everywhere and I wipe nearly everything down at the beginning of my shift. Maybe covid made me a germaphobe, but I also feel like it’s embarrassing to have patients in something that looks so unprofessional.
Different story. If you’ve got guys that are leaving spitter in the front, don’t empty the garbage or don’t ever mop or clean. You’ve got some issues.

CarSevenFour

Forum Crew Member
To be perfectly honest, you sound pretty annoying. "your" truck? overstocking beyond par numbers (you know those numbers are there for a reason, right)? all for IFTs? please. It's a truck, your an employee, and as long as both work, the world is good. claiming "your truck" makes me think you have an overinflated opinion of yourself, especially as someone who has only been at the company for a year. The trucks belong to your company, and are assigned by a supervisor/dispatcher.

When I was FT on the truck, we (my unit) had an assigned primary truck and an assigned backup truck. We were a city 911 truck, and kept a few extra items (for example, we had a stairchair with treads, and a stairchair without treads), as well as had updated maps of our city and our street guide (which I updated). We had 8 full time staff assigned to the truck, with the occasional part-timer who worked with a full-timer. Our backup truck was occasionally used by other units (the damn thing would not die), but we tried to avoid our primary truck being given to other units.

By your own words, you do a truck check every day, so you know where all of your equipment is, and you have everything you need. if you want to hang a BVM from the grab bar, go nuts, it takes 20 seconds to do at the beginning of the shift. If you think every truck should have a megamover, speak to your management, so they can purchase one for every truck (note: I said truck, not unit, as every physical truck should have a mega mover, and they should stay with that truck).

I did 3 months of IFTs, and I don't think I opened my bags once. never used a BVM. didn't care what truck I was in, as long as it worked. Later on, I did another year or so of IFT/911, where I was 70% IFT and 30% 911, and I tried to get one of the newer trucks, but to be honest, I was assigned to a POS more times than I can recall (there were more old POS truck in our fleet than new ones, because, at the time, we didn't believe in having a long term truck replacement plan). I also floated around to our suburban 911 trucks, and worked in type 2s and type 3s, depending on the day, with some being better than others, before getting a spot on the city 911 truck.

as for my IFT BLS must haves: a working suction unit, oxygen in the portable and onboard, diesel in the tank. AC in the summer, heat in the winter. As long as it meets the state standards for equipment, I'm happy. I'm happier not spending 12 hrs in a POS, but as long as it works....
So, you berate someone for calling her truck "Mine" but then go on to tell every "annoying" aspect of your glorious life working for a second-rate company hauling interfacility transports all day in second-rate units because they don't trust you enough to give you the 9-1-1 calls. The company gives you the broken down rigs because you are the best man for the job. You have a 'reputation' and you get the lousy rigs and most likely crummy partners no one else wants to work with as well. You might someday get a shiny new ambulance to drive, but first, you need to give up your "minimum standard is good enough for me" attitude.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
So, you berate someone for calling her truck "Mine" but then go on to tell every "annoying" aspect of your glorious life working for a second-rate company hauling interfacility transports all day in second-rate units because they don't trust you enough to give you the 9-1-1 calls. The company gives you the broken down rigs because you are the best man for the job. You have a 'reputation' and you get the lousy rigs and most likely crummy partners no one else wants to work with as well. You might someday get a shiny new ambulance to drive, but first, you need to give up your "minimum standard is good enough for me" attitude.
Your attitude went out in the 70s.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Play nice or become the focus of my complete and undivided attention.

signadmin1.gif

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
tenor.gif

I got to say, your legs must be super strong, with all the incorrect conclusions you jumped to about me and my former agency. Everything you said was inaccurate, and not even based on anything I said in the post that you quoted. In fact, much of what you said is completely contradictory to what I said, so I'm not sure where you are making any of that up from.

I think your attitude reflects more on you than it does on me.

regardless of what POC rig we were assisgned to, I seemed to be a magnet for dead and dying rigs that had lived far beyond their time.
maybe the agencies you worked for didn't trust you with new ambulances? maybe "You have a 'reputation' and you get the lousy rigs and most likely crummy partners no one else wants to work with as well? You might someday get a shiny new ambulance to drive, but first, you need to give up your "minimum standard is good enough for me" attitude."

Last edited:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
lock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.