Physicians on Scene at Boston Marathon

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you want to know more about what the doctors did at the finish line, there are several news stations now discussing this.

Paramedics are not the only health care professionals who know something about emergencies.
861f60b8_implied-facepalm.jpg

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Okay I guess you also believe doctors are not useful anywhere outside of a hospital or that they could be part of some athletic event. Why not just look up what some of these organizations do rather than just trying to put doctors in a bad light? There's enough hero titles to go around so no one has to feel left out if that is what you are worried about. I don't think the doctors are trying to take any spotlight time away from Boston EMS.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Okay I guess you also believe doctors are not useful anywhere outside of a hospital or that they could be part of some athletic event. Why not just look up what some of these organizations do rather than just trying to put doctors in a bad light? There's enough hero titles to go around so no one has to feel left out if that is what you are worried about. I don't think the doctors are trying to take any spotlight time away from Boston EMS.
03%20at%20first%20I%20was%20like.jpg

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
You might be very surprised at what Physicians are trained and educated to do in emergencies.

The doctors associated with this event and those who responded are not just student doctors. The AMAA is a big sponsor in this event and the DMAT doctors are not newbies who have no clue about trauma. Responses are also going to be different depending on the area and resources. Have a city like Boston with several respected hospitals and trauma centers will make it easier. These are professional teams who are well prepared and don't enter situations "mcquyvering things. You can refer to another discussion here for Paramedic "mcguyvering".

With the AMAA, there were several doctors running and several more supporting them on the sidelines. Those managing these events have learned lessons from previous incidents which have included everything from cardiac arrests to shootings.

Were there any EMS associations which actively encouraged or supported their members in the Boston Marathon?

I'm very well aware of what physicians are taught. (Like, really really very well aware.)

We're discussing physician roles in the context of a bombing in an urban setting that has EMS and ambulances ready and able to respond and transport to multiple hospitals with trauma surgical capabilities. Unless there is a breakdown in rapid evacuation of patients, there is not going to be much for any physician to do but help assure that patients get evacuated expediently with only absolutely necessary interventions performed (e.g. TQ, BVM, etc.).

Also, I'm well aware that there were non-resident physicians, but events like these are perfect for giving residents and students exposure and experience. Medical directors of large events like this are pretty good about involving residents and students, usually with an attending to resident ratio similar to that found in hospitals (in my experience).

bonesaw

Forum Probie
There are several medical tents after the finish line staffed by B.A.A. physicians, RN's PA's Medics.. etc. There were also Boston EMS trucks all over the area for the detail. First bomb went off 100-125 yards away from the medical tent so they were able to be on the scene within a minute.

Transport times from there to the hospitals was 2 minutes at the most. Also had bystanders that were off duty Fire/EMS/LE jumping in to assist.

On the other hand, there were also a few medical tents along the earlier parts of the route staffed only with volunteers (no PA/RN/Medic/EMT/etc..) handing out water and blankets whose only purpose was to call ems for treatment/transport.:wacko:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
FDNY deploys a medical director(s) to major incidents to oversee operations and approve orders without the need to go through on-line medical control.

As already stated im sure people who were there happened to be doctors as well... including runners.

CFal

Forum Captain
I do a lot of work with RI MRC/DMAT, we set up field hospitals for special events including marathons. Mass DMAT and Boston MRC probably had a similar setup running.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I do a lot of work with RI MRC/DMAT, we set up field hospitals for special events including marathons. Mass DMAT and Boston MRC probably had a similar setup running.

This.

I work a "planned disaster" every year, the Beach2Battleship Ironman, on a State disaster medical team. (We worked the DNC too, various hurricane responses, etc.)

Even when we setup for something like a marathon or Ironman or air show or large gathering event, we still setup as if we're a standalone facility. We typically have everything from RT's to RN's to EMT's to Paramedic's to PA's/NP's to MD's.

Our usual setup for an expectation of ~100-200 patients is 2 resus beds, 6 acute care, 16-20 subacute beds, plus warming tents etc. This is for an event with ~1.5-2k participants. We have full crash carts, etc.

Scale that up to the Boston Marathon with 23k participants and you'll find they're likely loaded for bear.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Comments about showing up to a large Boston Hospital with 15-20 critical patients overloading their system.

Think about showing up to 3 different sized hospitals with 150-200 patients, 40+ critical.

Waco Texas, last night

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Comments about showing up to a large Boston Hospital with 15-20 critical patients overloading their system.

Think about showing up to 3 different sized hospitals with 150-200 patients, 40+ critical.

Waco Texas, last night

Plus longer transports, isn't West, TX far from hospitals? (whereas it was mere minutes to a Level I in Boston)