Personal equipment preferences

Charmeck

Forum Crew Member
I like Fenix, but Dorcy makes some decent lights for a fraction of the price too!

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Basics. Shears, notebook ,penlight, bandage scissors, stethoscope, pens, pager and cell phone, Just what i need on me, ill sometimes carry other stuff, but not all the time. everything else can stay in the bags that's what there for.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I carry:
2 trauma shears and a penlight in between on my left cargo pocket
a led mini mag, hemostat, and folding knife on the right pocket
Sked gloves in my right cargo pocket
boot knife on inside of right boot,
radio and pelican 7060 on left hip
Glove pouch on right hip
pen-style handcuff key and lighter in right hip pocket
smart pad and two pens in left chest pocket
Droid X in right chest pocket
litman cardiology III w/ 1in tape around my neck,
It doesn't seem like a lot when I work...

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
1-Sheers (Pink, unless they had been stolen from last shift)
1-Pen Light
1-Pen (Has to be a clicky pen)
1-Radio
1-pager
1-knife (folding)
2-Cell Phones (One Personal, one ambulance or engine phone)

Money, DL, state Card and CPR card.

Now reality, I usually loose the Pen Light after the first call, My pen always seems to get grow legs and walk away. Half Way through the shift i leave my phone at the station, so now I am done to one phone. Knife usually taken out around 3 o'clock aka Nap time. and I forget to put it back into my pocket.

So by the end of the day, its Sheers Unless they have also grown legs and walked away, which seems to happen alot. 1 Radio, 1 Pager and hopefully 1 cell phone. DL, State Card and CPR Card. Money (Wait I never had money, we dont even make enough money to survive and pay our bills)

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
IF you need light on a scene, call the Fire Department, we have big trucks designed to give off great light, also if you do not need that much light, the blue canaries are very good at holding a flashlight up for me at least.. and they always have one or two on them :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
IF you need light on a scene, call the Fire Department, we have big trucks designed to give off great light
....and every ambulance I've ever been on have been factory equipped with exterior scene lights.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
....and every ambulance I've ever been on have been factory equipped with exterior scene lights.

Yes, but sometimes we need more light...

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
IF you need light on a scene, call the Fire Department, we have big trucks designed to give off great light, also if you do not need that much light, the blue canaries are very good at holding a flashlight up for me at least.. and they always have one or two on them :)

Most of our calls are inside, so big light trucks and engines aren't going to help light that scene. Plus, unless its an MVC with fluids or something with entrapment and we might need fire suppression fire stays at home, they usually just get in the way and cause problems

PD isn't around for most calls, and if they do come they only stay for combative our cpr patients. So we have to bring our own light to the scene. I carry alight on my belt for most and we have hand lanterns on the truck

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Most of our calls are inside, so big light trucks and engines aren't going to help light that scene. Plus, unless its an MVC with fluids or something with entrapment and we might need fire suppression fire stays at home, they usually just get in the way and cause problems

PD isn't around for most calls, and if they do come they only stay for combative our cpr patients. So we have to bring our own light to the scene. I carry alight on my belt for most and we have hand lanterns on the truck

that sucks for you huys. We have fire on every call. Also 90 percent of the time pd aso comes, most of the time I think they are bored and want to look useful

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
that sucks for you huys. We have fire on every call. Also 90 percent of the time pd aso comes, most of the time I think they are bored and want to look useful

Heh, that sounds like a lot of the reason fire rolled on a lot of calls when I lived in NM.
In my service area in Pecos, FD is a volunteer service that, on a good day, takes 30 minutes to get trucks out the door to a car or structure fire. I'm glad I don't have to have them on my scene, especially since none of them are EMTs.
I guess that's the reason we have a paid EMS service and a vollie FD :D

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Heh, that sounds like a lot of the reason fire rolled on a lot of calls when I lived in NM.
In my service area in Pecos, FD is a volunteer service that, on a good day, takes 30 minutes to get trucks out the door to a car or structure fire. I'm glad I don't have to have them on my scene, especially since none of them are EMTs.
I guess that's the reason we have a paid EMS service and a vollie FD :D

fire and ems are both paid. So sometimes fire gets there before ems. Also we hae some als engines

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead

Not really, fire service only causes problems because they feel they are always in charge on any emergency scene, if we had them all the time there would be fights

I like rolling by ourselves, lets us work at or own pace with minimal interference

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
double post

JPINFV

Gadfly

...in addition to racking up "responses" in order to justify more funding.