Pepp

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Any of you PEPP instructors? I just revieved a training DVD and I really like the way they cover the PAT. I am a PALS instructor and I have taken NALS and ENPC (not certified because I am not a nurse) and I must say I like the approach used by PEPP.

Any other experiences with PEPP?

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not a PEPP instructor but I do like the fact it's a little more comprehensive than PALS. Having said that, I don't think it should be mandatory. If someone has PALS, that should be good enough in my opinion.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I'm not a PEPP instructor but I do like the fact it's a little more comprehensive than PALS. Having said that, I don't think it should be mandatory. If someone has PALS, that should be good enough in my opinion.

I am with you on caution making any course mandatory. I think PALS is a great course if taught by the right people. I just really like the way PEPP is geared secifically to EMS.

I am all for furthering the education of EMS especially when it is a course designed for the EMS provider.

So far with the PEPP.............. I like it. :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I am a PEPP as well as a PALS, NRP etc.. I do like portions of the new revised portion especially the DVD approach.
It is easier to teach with the powerpoint as well, it appears to be more outlined.
NRP new modules is changed, as well and approaches a more in-depth approach to even and if resuscitation should be attempted.

R/r 911

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I am a PEPP as well as a PALS, NRP etc.. I do like portions of the new revised portion especially the DVD approach.
It is easier to teach with the powerpoint as well, it appears to be more outlined.
NRP new modules is changed, as well and approaches a more in-depth approach to even and if resuscitation should be attempted.

R/r 911

We will not be switching to PEPP, but I do like their DVD.

As far as NRP, it looks like I am going to have to become and instructor in it too. I was told by my boss this morning we are taking it over from OB and offering it to more staff.

Like I had posted before I had NALS in the past and I have heard nothing but good things about the new NRP program as well.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Remember receiving PEPP, one can "re-cert" their PALS after sucessful completion.

NRP is a good course, although, it is not really designed for prehospital care. Yes, portions can be modified for EMS use, it again it is primary for labor and delivery.

One of new part is ethical dilemma on discussing to attempt what to do on delivery on a known high risk < 28 wk fetus ( to work or not ) with proper discussion from physician to inform the risks of blindness, being deaf, and MR and vent dependent for entire life... again items that do need to be discussed even for EMS, but many services do not address and many don't want to even explore.

As well, resuscitation in a warmer, etc.. again modifications for the field.

It will make EMT's think of "other options" and I highly suggest the medical director to attend as well.

Good luck in your endeavour, however I do personally feel that this course is really designed for the L & D team, one of the members should be instructing due to knowledge of their current procedures and equipment. Since this is the "gold " standard, (similar to ACLS for adult) then that unit should be making strive to adapt to those standards. I feel this would be easier, if a delegate of their team be an instructor.

Again, I do understand smaller hospital mentality... and your hospital especially..LOL

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Yeah they do have a team member from OB that is the primary instructor but claimed she needed help since the policy has changed to "anyone" who may deliver has to attend the course.

All of RT, OB, ER, Anesthesthia etc have to have it.

I am glad you "see" my pain. :)

Oh....BTW even thought my title is EMS Educator......... 90% of the people I teach are everything but.......... Bwahahaha!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief